NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG-16th Street
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Greets patients and other visitors in a polite manner. Responsible for insurance eligibility, updating demographics / insurance information, collecting / posting co-pays. Additionally serves as a front desk liaison, answering phones and scheduling appointments as needed. Responsible for performing a variety of clerical duties.
Responsibility II: Daily Preparation / Check-in
• Maintains reception area, to include waiting room
• Verifies insurance eligibility
• Prints all encounter forms for each day appointments
• Ensures that all patients are greeted in a timely manner
• Provide necessary forms to new patients, updates information on existing patients, reviews for accuracy and scans/copies all insurance cards. Notifies the clinical staff when the patient is ready
• Monitors waiting rooms and communicates wait times to patients
• Responsible for applying information on all insurance plans, correctly identifying and entering FSC into IDX
• Collects co-pays and logs them appropriately at the time of check in
• Contact patients by telephone to communicate scheduling information within established time frames
o New patients reminder telephone calls are made within 24 hours of scheduled appt
o Patients who are “no-show” are called within 24 hours of their missed appt
o New patient referrals are contacted within 24 hours to schedule first appt
• Pulls charts for nurses to prepare for patients visits
• Appropriately documents all non essential personnel coming on site in the log book
Responsibility III: Check Out
• Ensures that patients have all information and questions answered about their health and treatments received, to include future appointments
• Ensures encounter forms are completed and tracked accordingly with office schedule
• Obtain any required prior authorizations for patient if being referred for outside services, i.e.. Radiology, surgery, laboratory, pharmaceuticals
• Completes all documentation for observation, planning and evaluation of care provided to patients
Responsibility IV: Clerical / Administrative
• Process medical records requests
• Open and process any mail and distribute accordingly as well as delivering packages marked “refrigerate” immediately to clinical personnel
• Maintains filing, charting, faxing and all other clerical functions as required
• Answers telephones in a polite manner, makes appointments and takes messages
• Prepares and processes correspondences
• Rolls phones according to schedule
• Identifies and orders supplies as needed
Responsibility V: General Practice Duties
• Must have physical exam and annual TB skin testing
• Knowledge of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, PHI, HIPAA as well as other State and Federal regulations pertaining to health insurance statutes
• Ability and flexibility to cover various medical offices when needed
• Performs cash management protocols as assigned
• Adheres to company policy on continuing education programs, i.e. Annual HIPAA training
• Adheres to departmental dress codes as observed by director and wears picture identification badge, 100% of the time.
Experience: One year previous medical office experience working within a patient registration, reception or billing role preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!