The Director of Nursing (Medical/Surgical) reports to the Chief Nursing Executive. This leader is responsible for daily nursing operations with a focus on quality and safety, as well as overall patient experience for inpatients. This role provides leadership in the use of methods and processes for developing and achieving the Medical Center’s plan for providing patient care consistent with the health system’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan.
- General Management: Directs and evaluates any and all management operations related to: Movement of patients from Admission to Discharge. Reviews results and recommends actions in coordination with corporate goals. Presents to leadership outcomes and plan for continued growth and improvement. Exercises extreme discretion in review of all records and information to ensure confidentiality of all matters. Participates with leaders from the Governing Body, Senior Leadership, Medical Staff and clinical areas in health system’s decision-making structures and processes. Participates in developing and implementing the system’s plan for providing patient care consistent with the system’s mission, goals, values and strategic plan. Participates with senior leadership, medical staff and clinical areas in planning, promoting and conducting organization-wide performance assessment and improvement activities.
- Leadership: Acts with honesty and integrity with employees and customers, showing and speaking with respect for the rights of others, human dignity, local culture and Novant’s mission, vision, and values. Assures staff competency. Seeks input of staff in decision making. Facilitates decision making within the area of responsibility. Effectively balances authority of office, knowledge, and personality/persuasive power in executing role. Trusts others to act when aim is shared and appropriate. Acts with confidence. Demonstrate skillful leadership, defined by: leading and participating in teams, coaching and mentoring of direct reports, timely and appropriate conflict resolution, effective and timely communications, timely decision making as evidenced by positive performance evaluation feedback from stakeholders (peers, staff, financial staff) in these areas. Participates effectively with the Administrative Team as evidenced by active involvement, timely preparation and follow-up and honest, open communication. Serves as a positive role model as evidenced by professional demeanor, skillful written and oral communications, reinforcement of strong customer service to staff and ethical judgment in problem solving. Participates in activities outside the facility which promote / provide community benefit as well as provide increased exposure for Hospital. Pursues continuing and / or formal education and maintains professional affiliations to further career development and understanding of the health care / business environment as evidenced by completed education and seminar hours and professional group participation.
- Business Acumen: Demonstrates ability to see the organization as a whole, recognizing the interdependence and connection between and among its various systems and processes. Thinks upstream and downstream. Anticipates and prepares for the future. Accepts minor set-backs in pursuing goals. Implements organizational policy and procedure. Delegates responsibility for completion of the departments’ core activities. Develops solid business plans for capital projects. Provides project/process consultation to staff.
- Clinical Oversight and Quality Improvement: Stabilizes and continually improves the core processes of the area of responsibility. Assures quality is monitored and opportunities for improvement are identified, tested, and implemented as appropriate. Manages the interdependence of processes both within and external to the department. Communicates the status of core processes of the area of responsibility and the system. Judges successes on qualitative as well as quantitative measures. Develops organization wide patient care programs, policies and procedures that describe how patients’ nursing care needs or patient populations receiving nursing care are assessed, evaluated and met. Develops and implement the organization’s plans for providing nursing care to those patients requiring nursing care; Participates with governing body, management , medical staff and clinical leaders in the organization's decision-making structures and processes. Implements an effective, ongoing program to measure, assess and improve the quality of nursing care delivered to patients.
- Human Resources and Organizational Development: Provides ongoing and annual feedback on performance, including improvement plans. Coaches staff in developing plan to achieve personal career goals. Provides education and training to staff. Assures the process for job posting, interview and selection complies with corporate policy and procedure. Demonstrates skill development in interviews / selection process and team building, understanding of budgeting, staffing / scheduling, payroll and purchasing processes. Plans and provides for technical and human resource needs. Demonstrates development of staff as evidenced by continual improvement at department level with: orientation and mandatory education attendance, customer satisfaction ratings, budgetary performance and ownership / leadership of strategic changes.
- Financial and Resource Management: Accountable for budget development and performance in area of responsibility. Assesses need and submits requests for capital expenditures. Demonstrate planning and application of financial resources consistent with the mission, vision, and strategic plan of the organization as evidences by a positive trend in standard financial measurements (budgetary parameters) or justification of variances. Demonstrate planning and application of human resources consistent with the mission, vision and strategic plan of the organization as evidenced by consistent excellence in customer satisfaction level.
- Goal Execution and Achievement: Develops and obtains approval of annual goals based on strategic initiatives. Guides and directs staff to implement actions which achieve goals.
- Graduate / Master's Degree in related field required.
- Three (3) years of supervisory/management experience.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in North Carolina.
- Clinical experience in the fields of Medical/Surgical required.
- Ability to successfully complete generic and department specific competency assessment.
- Knowledgeable with current and future trends/practices in regulatory and governing standards, policies and procedures, information systems, software, equipment, and application of safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Skills in interviewing and selection process, with understanding of budgeting, staffing, payroll and purchasing processes, implementation of competency, feedback, development and progressive discipline processes;
- Teambuilding, conflict management, and interpersonal relationship skills with knowledge surrounding the principles of adult learning and teaching methods/models.
- Decision making, project leadership and consultation, delegation and communication skills.
- Understanding of customer needs and expectations and knowledge for improvement to exceed customer expectations.