The Infection Preventionist – Certified actively participates in the Infection Prevention Program, by supporting prevention activities and best practice measures.
1. Maintain Infection Surveillance Program a. Review lab results as a case finding mechanism for identifying both Healthcare Associated b. Infections (HAIs) and community associated infections. c. Collect data for analysis of HAIs and perform data entry. d. Collect and validate data items such as device days, patient days, device type, etc. e. Assist with all surveillance activities and isolation management f. Assist with data entry and maintenance of data base. g. Assist with generating reports and distribution as needed. h. Provide analysis of surveillance findings and the development of interventional strategies. i. Use the CDC/NHSN criteria to identify infections. j. Communicate infection prevention data to the Infection Prevention Committee, hospital leadership, environment of care committee, clinical Improvement committee, and specific hospital units/departments as appropriate k. Communicate with referring and receiving health care facilities pertinent patient specific infection data. l. Identify Communicable Diseases, report these to the Health Department and initiate control measures if needed. m. Assist with local and State Public Health Department Inspections as indicated n. Facilitate compliance of regulatory agencies o. Send HAI data to external entities, such as CDC/NHSN, NDNQI, HEN, Leapfrog, etc. p. Review externally generated reports such as state department of health reports, CMS Hospital Compare, Leapfrog, etc. q. Perform data audits as required by institutional, state and federal agencies
2. Provide Inadvertent Exposure Management a. Assess the situation, verify the diagnosis of the source and determine that an exposure has occurred b. Send confirmation of need for employee follow-up post exposure to applicable manager(s) c. Consult as needed with the institution of appropriate follow-up, testing and control measures d. Notify Employee Occupational Health of manager notification(s) completion e. Assist with outbreak investigations f. Collect environmental samples for culture or other testing related to infection prevention and control as directed by Director of Infection Prevention or Medical Director for Infection Prevention
3. Develop and Review Infection Prevention Standards a. Research and compilation of applicable standards and recommendations. b. Composition of policies. c. Assist with the revision of hospital and departmental infection prevention policies d. Implementation of process as evidenced by current guidelines and recommendations e. Partner with Facility Leadership in sustaining best practices to prevent healthcare associated infections (HAIs) f. Maintain membership in the Association of Professional in Infection control and Epidemiology at a state and national levels to provide opportunities for networking and education
4. Provide Infection Prevention Education a. Develop educational programs to meet the needs of the customer. b. Provide educational programs at the level of the customer. c. Monitor effectiveness of education. d. Provide expertise in regard to healthcare-associated infections, emerging communicable disease, post-exposure management, isolation precautions and construction and environmental issues/concerns. e. Serve as an infection prevention resource and liaison for all services and functions within the organization for enhanced patient care f. Conduct rounds of assigned areas g. Assist with product evaluation
5. Demonstrates standard of performance (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence
6. Performs other duties as assigned.