NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG-16th St Lab
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the general supervision of the Lead Phlebotomist, Phlebotomy Coordinator or Laboratory Manager this employee draws blood from patients in the physician’s office or similar facility for analysis or other medical purposes.
1. Greet patient, check them into IDX, verify and release labs from Epic, verify procedure and check labs into the Laboratory Information System. Obtain ABN if needed
2. Assemble equipment such as tourniquet, needles, disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified test or procedures
3. Verify or record identify of patient or donor and converse with patient to allay fear of procedure
4. Apply tourniquet to arm, locate accessible vein, swab puncture area with antiseptic and insert needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube
5. Withdraw needle, apply treatment to puncture site and label and store blood container for subsequent processing
6. Prick finger to draw blood
7. Scan Waivers
8. Clean work area/stock
9. Help train new employees/students
10. Scheduling/rescheduling patients, no shows
11. Verifying orders are in Epic
12. Processing specimens and preparing for transporting specimens
13. Depending on location performs POC testing and Quality Controls
* High School Diploma
Experience: Completion of an accredited phlebotomy program or one-year of phlebotomy experience required. Experience related to customer service and quality patient care preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!