NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Nursing Educators
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.800000
Work Type: 32 to 47 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Clinical Education Specialist I is responsible and accountable for supporting and/or facilitating the ongoing educational needs of nursing personnel (RN, LPN, PCT, NA, Psych Tech, ED Tech, and UCs), throughout the NHRMC, who care for patients in various developmental stages. This includes orientation, on-going competency validation, and enhancement of knowledge and skills through inservice programs, based on defined patient populations and staff learning needs.
1. Assesses the educational needs of nursing services personnel in a variety of clinical settings. Actively participates in providing on-going continuing education programs to meet these needs based on the age and developmental stages of the patient population served. Coordinates assessment to provide for individualized orientation based on demonstrated needs. Coordinates the re-assessment of nursing personnel, at the completion of orientation and when indicated by clinical performance
2. Facilitates orientation for RN, LPN, UC, PCT, NA, Psych Techs, and ED Techs including the development of curriculum, manuals, and reference materials.
3. Participates in the improvement of nursing practice throughout the network through working with committees, workgroups, and taskforces.
4. Prepares Registered Nurses for the role of preceptor and non-nurses for the role of orientation coach through teaching/facilitating classes and acting as a resource when issues arise.
5. Maintains a current clinical knowledge base related to the multiple specialty areas throughout the network through attendance in workshops and reviewing current literature.
6. Teaches/Facilitates computer classes for order entry, nursing documentation, and viewing of old hospital records. Acts as a resource by assisting staff members is becoming experts in nursing documentation and implementing conversions to new charting formats.
7. Has direct contact with patients when new products/equipment are introduced.
8. Contributes to the implementation of new policies and procedures for nursing services.
9. . Omit this, covered in #2.
10. Maintains a current knowledge base related to resuscitation issues. Teaches Code Blue and American Heart Association resuscitation classes. Maintains equipment and supplies, database, and on-line registration related to Code Blue classes.
11. Participates in the presentation of network education projects/classes to meet the needs of nursing services and other areas.
12. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Nursing
1. Education: BS in Nursing or related field required.
2. Licensure/Certifications: North Carolina State Board of Nursing. BLS certification required. BLS, ACLS & PALS Instructor preferred.
3. Experience: Three years acute care nursing, preferably in clinical specialty. Experience as clinical educator or in a teaching role preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!