Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Emergency Department
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.900000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 12HR NIGHT - Most of shift btwn 7P-7A
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
The team member’s Number One job responsibility is to deliver the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, every time, and understands how to contribute to the health system’s vision of achieving that commitment to patients and families. At Novant Health, people are our business. We treat each other with respect and compassion. We embrace the differences in our strengths while fostering an environment of inclusion, empowerment, inspiration, and courage. The team member will use Novant Health’s First Do No Harm (NHFDNH) safety behaviors/error prevention tools and high reliability strategies as appropriate to ensure a safe, remarkable patient experience. The Paramedic must function as a patient care provider in conjunction with a Registered Nurse in accordance with approved departmental policies, procedures and protocols and functions under the direction of the Medical Director or other assigned leader. The Paramedic provides patient care within a defined scope of practice that included patient care and observation, specified treatments and procedures; provision of environmental and personal safety; effective communication. The Paramedic will also be responsible to collect pertinent data within their certification scope of responsibilities and report these clinical, psychosocial, etc., findings to the RN and/or ED physician.
1. Performs primary, secondary and ongoing surveys to develop and manage an appropriate plan of care. 2. Facilitates patient care based on physiological, psychological and spiritual needs identified in the assessment. 3. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines. 4. Documents findings into the patient record as outlined by ED policies. 5. Facilitates patient/family teaching as appropriate. 6. Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills in dealing with all team members, communicates information in accordance with medical center policies and procedures. 7. Maintains and promotes customer satisfaction and positive departmental image. 8. Maintains all educational and professional requirements of a Paramedic functioning under the NHREMS Model System Plan. 9. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence. 10. Performs other duties as assigned. Essential Functions • Patient Care: Provides responsible patient care. Practices effective interpersonal communication skills. Serves as a patient advocate. Manages resources for patient care. Complies with and supports departmental and organizational policies, procedures, and protocols. Maintains clinical and professional competencies as appropriate for the age, health and developmental status of patients served. Provides patient care as delegated by the RN. Practices Patient Care under the direct supervisor by the ED Medical Director/Designated Physician using approved polices/protocols/standing orders which govern clinical activities. Any deviations from these protocols/standing orders required direct physician orders. Technical skills/tasks/procedures and patient care activities within the EMS personnel scope of practice may be assigned/delegated by the RN in settings requiring nursing assessment of the patient. • Treatments and Procedures: Administers treatments and various procedures (within their scope of practice as directed by their state protocols and any other specific protocols approved by the ED medical Additional Skills/Requirements (required) • Must have ability to assess and/or interpret information to identify each patient’s requirements for care relative to his/her age, as well as health and developmental needs. Ability to successfully complete generic and department-specific skills validation and competency testing. Must be able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in written documentation. Excellent customer service skills. Non-Essential Functions All other duties as assigned.
* Drivers License Class C
* PreHospital Trauma LifeSupport
* Nat'l Registr-EMT-Paramedic
* Technical/Vocational Diploma
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Successful completion of an approved Paramedic program 2. Licensure / Certifications: Current North Carolina EMT-P certification. Current and valid ACLS, BCLS, BTLS and PALS 3. Experience: Minimum of one-year experience at the Paramedic level. Previous Emergency Department experience preferred. Must meet the annual educational and skill requirements expected of all paramedics practicing in the New Hanover Regional EMS System.