Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Behavioral Health - Inpatient
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: Rotating Days with some Weekend needs
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The LCSW Behavioral Health Services Manager works under the supervision of the Director of Behavioral Health Services. The LCSW Manager has 24-hour accountability for inpatient programming, patient activities lead by the social work team, and works collaboratively with the Nurse Manager. This position is accountable for accreditation readiness, safety, special projects, quality, therapeutic programming, treatment teams, psychiatric technicians, Recreational Therapists, Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist, and all clinical social workers at the Behavioral Health Hospital and those assigned to the Emergency Department assessment team. The Social work manager will provide input into strategic planning and budget development. The Unit Manager is responsible for customer service excellence and Patient Experience in collaboration with the leadership team.
1. Responsible for the daily unit operations, ensuring that policies, practices, procedures and standards of performance are followed.
2. Develops departmental staffing schedules, to provide staffing to meet patient care requirements and operational requirements.
3. Responsible for staff education, including clinical competence, compliance and organizational initiatives.
4. Leads patient care conferences, and participates in planning effective care to meet patient’s goals for transfer/discharge. Completes daily rounds with staff and patients, regular participation in physician rounds. Daily responsibility for throughput challenges and the appropriate placement of patients.
5. Develops staff using coaching for success principles, annual performance assessment, staff education assessment and facilitates staff attendance for continuing education. Unit Manager will be responsible for all staff performance appraisal interviews with goal setting during annual performance appraisal and a review of goals at mid-year.
6. Maintains environment of Service and Operational Excellence, utilizing all principles i.e.: Aidet, hourly rounding and discharge phone calls (as appropriate).
7. Assesses external and internal customer satisfaction through daily rounding, visibility within the unit and utilizing patient experience, employee satisfaction (engagement) and physician satisfaction reports as a measurement.
8. Supports shared governance principles, participates on unit governance councils and supports staff attendance to shared governance councils including Nursing Congress.
9. Implements the principles of coaching for success, provide staff recognition and create an environment to retain and facilitate staff development.
10. Maintains clinical expertise and competence in their area of responsibility. Provides patient care at regular intervals to maintain clinical skills.
11. Maintains current knowledge of management theories and annually attends leadership education classes.
12. Communicates and shares information with staff in monthly staff meetings, shared governance format, Huddles and other communication mediums and daily rounding.
13. Utilizes the PDSA process and best practice research in planning the Performance Improvement goals for the unit. Embraces Lean principles and facilitates Lean being embedded in unit philosophies.
* Registered Nurse
* Crisis Prevention Cert
* Bachelor of Science
Education: Bachelors Degree in Human Services field required. Master’s desirable
Licensure/Certifications: If a Registered Nurse, current license to practice professional nursing in the State of North Carolina. BCLS required and certification in departmental specialty preferred. If Bachelors in Human Services field, BCLS required. Crisis Prevention Institute Certification (CPI) required.
Experience: Five years of experience in a mental health field preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.