NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Business Center A
Department: Telecomm Call Center
Full Time Equivalent: full-time
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: Varying Days, 2:45pm - 11:15pm, rotating weekends
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The Switchboard Operator reports to the Director, Information Services and is responsible for operating the Health System’s PBX switchboard consoles, overhead paging and mass paging systems. Connects all inbound telephone traffic to correct area or extensions. Responsible for facilitation and communication of critical emergency response teams and alerts as required. Responsible for facilitating paging of physicians, various on call teams for various areas. Provide directory assistance services for staff, patients, families and physicians as requested. Performs Information Desk duties as required.
1. Operates the Health Systems PBX consoles, answering all calls promptly and forwarding calls to the proper extension or person. Performs overhead paging as required.
2. Responds promptly to all alarms and emergency situations to facilitate notification and communication associated with all codes and emergency situations. Responsible for responding to alarm systems using proper procedure for each type of alarm or emergency situation.
3. Pages physicians and on call personnel as required or requested.
4. Coordinates repair of malfunctioning telephone equipment in patient rooms or staff areas with the Help Desk, telecommunications technician and/or appropriate vendor as necessary.
5. Provides patient telephone, room location and condition information when approved during the hours that the Information Desk or Auxiliary Desk is not staffed or as overflow relief.
6. Must be familiar with and comply with all HIPAA, OSHA and DNV regulations as applicable to their area.
7. Issues keys and gives directions to incoming medical students who are scheduled to occupy the staff quarters
8. Assist the customer when translator services are required using documented processes and the Health Systems designated interpreter services vendor
9. Using computer based tools, triages requests to the appropriate Health System team, department or resource
10. Utilizes computer based integration tools for connecting calls to the correct patient/employee/department
11. Prepares and updates on call listings daily for residents, physicians, and other required Health System on call staff.
12. Provide location of TDD devices for staff, patients and visitors when requested.
High School Diploma
1. Education: High school diploma required.
2. Licensure/Certifications: None Required
3. Experience: One-year PBX switchboard or Call Center experience. Experience in medical terminology and healthcare is preferred but not required. Computer knowledge with ability to utilize software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Internet Explorer. Must be able to multitask between various software applications.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!