NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Case Management
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The LCSW will provide the patient with professional interactions, utilizing psychotherapy and supportive collaboration for patients in the pediatric (4-17years), adult population (18-72 years) and geriatric (65 + years) with primary mental health disorder, substance abuse disorder and/ or comorbid diagnosis admitted to the NHRMC Emergency Department (ED) including the Behavioral Health Observation (BHO) area. The clinician will conduct age appropriate, comprehensive clinical assessments (CSAs), patient intakes and psychosocial screenings. As part of a multidisciplinary team the BHO LCSW will interview patients and families including other appropriate providers (Behavioral Health / Community Resources) in order to conduct meaningful assessments, clinical diagnostic impression, identify/coordinate discharge needs and/or discharge planning to promote positive behavioral health outcomes. (Within 60 days of hire, obtain North Carolina First Level Commitment Examiner Certification (NCDHSR and our Local Management Entity, Trillium Health Resources).
- Conducts comprehensive psychosocial assessments with at/high risk populations to develop/enhance the plan of care, provide appropriate education, interventions, advocacy and recommendations for patient/family follow-up care and services.
- Provides psychotherapy and crisis intervention/counseling as an immediate support to patients, families and significant others, coping with difficult situations within the acute psychiatric setting, as well as preventative interventions to assist patients and families in improving functional problem solving and long-term treatment success.
- Develops, organizes, and implements individual/group methods and when clinically indicated, provides counseling/therapy for individuals and families. Provides and facilitates education with specific populations in areas of the acute psychiatric care setting (ED/BHO) as needed (i.e., newly diagnosed mental health disorder or comorbid disorder, coping with traumatic life events, diagnosis management)
- Practices within the strength-based perspective to identify patient and family strengths and assist patients in building on these strengths to empower them to work toward positive, future oriented change. Will also use additional evidenced-based proactive therapeutic paradigms that bolster the medical model of care (i.e. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, and Motivational Interviewing).
- Will possess strong theoretical framework and concordant skills as to display competency and familiarity of therapeutic interventions. Execute a thorough evaluation of patient’s home environment, social/collateral supports, and community resources for the purpose of securing and cultivating a plan for patient’s safety beyond the acute psychiatric setting.
- Assumes level of “expert” knowledge of community resources and facilitates connecting patient/families with needed services. Facilitates referrals for patients/family to support their mental and health care needs, connecting them with community resources and supportive agencies. In addition, provides collaborative interagency efforts and meetings for the purpose of obtaining/enhancing comprehensive care.
- Conducts patient and family meetings to discuss various options for next level-of-care including establishing a home support system or alternative living placement plan, which is realistic in relation to the patient’s present and potential function, emotional, and developmental capabilities and is attainable in relation to resources available (i.e., elderly, Intellectually Disabled, homelessness).
- Assess patient need for self-disclosure and assist patients and/or their families in addressing issues and concerns relating to domestic violence or abusive relationships, which includes facilitating referral of therapeutic services and emergency housing/placement to empower safety and promote the NASW value of dignity and self-worth.
- ED/BHO liaison to assist the Department of Social Services with protective services to spearhead mandated reporting related to all populations.
- Assists the attending ED provider and BHO psychiatrist with assessment of patient needs.Will coordinate patient/family/team meetings as needed/scheduled.Facilitates completion of all PASRR’s in NC Must Electronic System for patients seeking ALF, ACH, and SNF placement per State guidelines. Acts as liaison with DHHS PASRR evaluator for face-to-face evaluation of patients. Will utilize ProviderLink to disseminate referrals to available facilities in a timely manner.
- Interactions at all times, with all team members, will be on a professional level. Maintains the ethical standards of NASW Code of Ethics.
- Obtains North Carolina First Level Commitment Examiner Certification and serves as First Examiner/Petitioner for patients meeting Involuntary Commitment (IVC) criteria.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient to ensure their needs are met and their rights protected. Attends collaborative meetings/sessions to promote the enhancement of care for the Behavioral Health Hospital patients served.
- Will be responsible for coordination of services with attending psychiatrists, ED Providers, Nursing Staff, BHO Placement Specialists, other social workers, psychologists, etc.; on all levels.
- Organizes and performs work effectively and efficiently.Will demonstrate concise and succinct documentation in Epic.
- Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills to achieve therapeutic rapport, to procure positive outcomes and enhance patient’s autonomy and independence.
* Licensed Clinical Soc Wkr
* Masters of Social Worker
Education: Master of Social Work (MSW) from an accredited school of social work required.
Certifications/Licensure: NC LCSW is required. BLS is required. Within 60 days of hire, obtain North Carolina First Level Commitment Examiner Certification (NCDHSR and our Local Management Entity, Trillium Health Resources)
Experience: One (1) year as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, including experience in assessing and treating individuals diagnosed with a mental health and/or substance use disorder. Emergency department setting experience preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!