NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Business Center A
Department: Patient Accounts (Hospital Billing)
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The Patient Account Technician will perform a variety of work activities associated with one or more functional areas within the Patient Accounts department. The Patient Accounts department is responsible for the billing and collection of patient accounts, cash posting of payments to those accounts, and providing of customer service to patients regarding the disposition of their accounts. Productivity standards must be met according to expectations. Global Departmental goals must be met according to standards set forth by the Director, Manager, or Coordinator.
1. Performs a variety of duties and responsibilities within PFS to include, but not limited to, billing and insurance following-up, accurate payment posting to patient accounts, serving as customer service representatives for patients who call or present in person to request information/assistance on their accounts.
2. Meet all standards and goals set at the beginning of each fiscal year.
3. Function independently in a high volume, multi-task setting. Must competently work within a highly computerized/technical environment. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of regulatory entities that impact Patient Accounts environment, i.e. local, state and federal guidelines/regulations.
4. Initiates, prepares and types correspondence.
5. Able to identify and interpret payment variances in expected reimbursement, ensuring accurate reimbursement from third party payers.
6. Maintain courteous and cooperative working relationships with peers, patients and other medical center team members.
7. Participates in and / or leads the development, validation and implementation of standard work documents.
8. Follows Standard Work to perform at the highest level of productivity and efficiency.
9. Provide follow up and billing support as needed to Customer Service and other departments within the organization.
10. Interact and communicate professionally and appropriately with other departments, but not limited to coding, medical records, case management and compliance.
11. Resolves all system edits expediently, to include but not limited to, work queues, reports, audits in Epic, LDA, FISS and the Claims Scrubber system
12. Resolve and rebill insurance claim denials that are received under Billing Ownership for all payers.
13. Participates in A/R projects as needed/required.
14. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team/department performance.
15. Maintains and promotes customer satisfaction.
* High School Diploma
Experience: Two years of patient accounting experience Knowledge of medical terminology, billing, follow-up, and collection practices. Epic EMR preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!