Director of Nursing - Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)
Novant Health is seeking a remarkable Director of Nursing (DON) to join our Skilled Nursing Facility in the beautiful Coastal Carolina region. This role reports to the Chief Nursing Executive.
The Director of Nursing (DON) plans, develops, and directs the overall operation of our Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) in accordance with federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations that govern the facility, to ensure the highest degree of quality care is always maintained. This position is responsible and accountable for all patient care activities, unit operations and staff, fiscal management and monitoring to assure continuous quality improvement services delivered. The Director of Nursing (DON) maintains current clinical skills and has the competency to support the delivery of care. This role is responsible for customer service excellence and will provide input into strategic planning and budget development.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs the Skilled Nursing Facility, as well as its programs and activities, in accordance with current rules, regulations and guidelines that govern nursing care facilities.
- Leads using the mission, goals, and standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction to direct the department in a manner consistent with the principles of Service Excellence and established organizational and departmental Pillar Goals.
- Develops, maintains, and periodically updates written policies and procedures that govern the day-to-day functions of the Skilled Nursing Facility.
- Develops methods for coordination of nursing services with other resident services to ensure the continuity of the resident’s total regimen of care.
- Participates in facility surveys made by government agencies as necessary or as may be directed.
- Monitors the SNF’s QA and survey reports, and develops and implements appropriate plans of action to correct identified deficiencies.
- Performs administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc., as necessary.
- Oversees and approves departmental staffing schedules to provide staffing to meet patient care requirements and operational requirements.
- Facilitates the professional development for immediate and long-range training needs of staff to include monitoring of education, clinical competence, compliance, and organizational initiatives.
- Collaborates with the CNE/COO for the financial management of all areas, assists with the monitoring of monthly budget; implements strategies to achieve equipment expenditures and determining realistic revenue projections/goals.
- Demonstrates the ability to respond positively to changing circumstances, maximizes opportunities, and minimizes problems.
- Provides leadership and direction for medical staff in matters relating to SNF and develops and maintains positive relationships with nursing leadership peers and medical staff.
- Facilitates quality initiatives for all areas within SNF in collaboration with the Clinical Outcomes Department, models improvement processes in daily operations, and maintains compliance with all state and regulatory standards.
- Monitors compliance of the daily operations, ensuring that policies, practices, procedures, and standards of performance are followed.
- Creates an environment to retain staff and facilitates staff development through coaching, staff recognition, daily rounding, visibility within the unit and utilizing patient satisfaction, employee satisfaction and physician satisfaction reports as a measurement of success.
- Maintains current knowledge of management theories and annually attends leadership education classes.
- Associates Degree in related field required. BSN or Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in the State of North Carolina required.
- Five (5) years of experience as a Registered Nurse (RN).
- Long-term care experience required.
- Two (2) years of progressive management/leadership experience preferred.