Novant Health - New Hanover Regional Medical Center is seeking a passionate Director of Nursing (RN) for the Emergency Department to serve as a leader of the healthcare team in designing and shaping the preferred future of nursing and patient care services.
Reporting to the VP at NHRMC, the Director of Nursing is responsible for delivering the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, every time, and understands how to contribute to the health system’s vision of achieving that commitment to patients and families. The Director of Nursing is also responsible for internal operations, physician relationships, quality, service and financial performance, as well as for providing leadership in the use of methods and processes for providing patient care consistent with the health system’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan.
The ideal candidate has great interpersonal skills, is passionate about safe and effective patient care, as well as is able to demonstrate leadership skills and clinical expertise.
- Participates in the leadership and strategic planning of the healthcare organization, provides operational leadership and guidance for all core processes to consistently model the mission, vision and values of Novant Health, and ensures that nursing practice is governed by professional nurses.
- Serves as an agent of change, effectively manages conflict and resolution, identifies and removes barriers that impede established goals, and seeks opportunities to engage in educational opportunities for ongoing personal development.
- Participates in professional organizations and community boards/activities, and maintains strong partnerships with local schools of nursing and the academic community at large.
- Evaluates and revises systems and processes of nursing services to ensure achievement of nursing-sensitive patient, client and family centered outcomes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of process improvement principles and applies appropriately to improve patient care outcomes.
- Actively engages nurses, physicians, interdisciplinary team members and leaders to improve care across the healthcare system, ensures ongoing innovation within nursing services.
- Facilitates the conduct, dissemination and utilization of research, participates in programs that study and benchmark nursing sensitive metrics, ensures integration of appropriate technologies to meet the needs of professional nursing, as well as compliance with all regulatory agencies.
Team Member Engagement:
- Ensures the delivery of Novant Health service standards by nursing team members with timely service recovery, as needed.
- Serves as a patient advocate, monitors patient experience scores and co-creates strategies for improvement with team members and leaders, using internal and national benchmarks for targeting improvements.
- Fosters a collaborative environment that maximizes the patient’s and family’s ability to make informed decisions.
- Provides opportunities for consumer input into policy development, and ensures delivery of culturally competent care.
- Establishes a strong professional practice environment, including interdisciplinary collaboration, shared governance, professional model of care, team member development and evidence based practice.
- Ensures registered nurse participation in decision-making at various levels of the organization.
- Coordinates the development of goals, objectives and action plans to achieve staff education and development, monitors team member engagement results and co-creates strategies for improvement with team members, leaders, and human resource partners.
- Serves as a professional role model and mentor to inspire, develop, recruit, and retain nurse leaders, monitors the diversity of the nursing workforce in relation to local population diversity, and ensures a safe working environment.
- Provides global oversight of capital and operational budget specific to nursing and patient care.
- Manages positions within nursing services to achieve quality and productivity within budgetary guidelines.
- Leads strategic plan for identifying needed resources to meet patient care outcomes and ongoing nursing development.
- Guides nursing leaders in the processes to gain approval for capital and operational budgets.
- Acquires and allocates human, material, and financial resources for specific functions and processes.
- Develops collaborative partnerships to optimize key clinical and financial outcomes.
- Reviews and maintains job descriptions, department policies/procedures and other documents with emphasis on system standardization, as appropriate
Education & Licensure/Certification:
- Bachelor's Degree in Healthcare/Business Administration or related field required. Masters Degree/MSN Preferred.
- Current RN licensure required.
- Minimum five (5) years of clinical experience in nursing required.
- Minimum of three (3) years progressive supervisory/management experience in a healthcare setting required.
About Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC)
New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC), established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a community leader and healthcare organization focused on providing outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice.
At Novant Health, one of our core values is diversity and inclusion. By engaging the strengths and talents of each team member, we ensure a strong organization capable of providing remarkable healthcare to our patients, families and communities. Therefore, we invite applicants from all group dynamics to apply to our exciting career opportunities.