NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG - Autumn Hall
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - M,T,W,F 7:45AM-5PM and Thursday 7:45am-12:45pm
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works in collaboration with the providers to assess, plan, provide exemplary patient care and implement a plans of care. Records results of clinical tests and reports results to physicians. Assists in administrative duties as well as clinical.
Responsibility I: NHRMC Standards of Performance
• Ownership – responsible for all outcomes of efforts and actions
• Teamwork – demonstrates a willingness to assist co-workers and to accept additional assignments as requested to support the department efficiently
• Communication – acknowledge patients and co-workers, listen attentively while maintaining eye contact and speaking to them directly and respectfully
• Compassion – Be an advocate for patients, families and teammates. Show them you care and always follow up.
Responsibility II: Administrative
• Front desk reception, answering phones and scheduling appointments as needed
• Greet patients, completion of registration forms, and give instructions
• Filing and maintaining medical records ensuring proper documentation
• Arranging for hospital admissions and outside referrals for the physician
• Calling prescriptions to the pharmacy for the physician
• Communication skills using appropriate medical terminology
• Works with pharmacies and insurance companies on prior authorizations
• Following appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct
Responsibility II. Clinical
• Recording patient interview, history and chief complaint
• Ability to obtain an accurate set of vitals
• Ability to perform routine EKG and document accordingly
• Strong working knowledge of current medications, dosing information and prescribing requirements
• Prepares and administers medications, vaccines and treatments with knowledge of purpose and adverse effects of nursing care provided
• Ability to comfortably administer respiratory therapies; i.e. nebulizer treatments
• Change dressings, applying bandages, removing sutures and other first aid procedures.
• Phlebotomy and collection of specimens
• Providing patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of diseased, home treatments and special diets
• Assisting the physician with exams and minor office surgery
• Maintaining supplies, equipment, stocking and sterilizing instruments
• Recording accurate refrigerator temperature logs daily, as well as spore testing on Autoclave’s
• Disposing of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards
• Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times
• Maintains compliancy within regulatory agencies such as HIPAA, OSHA and CLIA and JCAHO if applicable
Responsibility IV: Accountability of Patient Care
• Ensures that patients have all information and questions answered about their health and treatments received, to include future treatment plans
• Completes all documentation for observation, planning and evaluation of care provided to patients
• Assumes responsibility for tracking patient through radiology, laboratory and all other referrals
• Assists physician with History and Physical
• Responsible for inventory of all sample medications, perform monthly inventory on expired medications, reports and disposes of accordingly
Responsibility V: General Practice
• Must maintain current certification, fulfilling all CME requirement, including CPR
• Must have physical exam and annual TB skin testing
• Provide telephone coverage / daily patient call backs
• Assist front office staff with scheduling future appointments
• Assist front office staff with filing and other clerical needs
• PHI – refrain from discussing Patient Health Information in public in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and policies
• Ability and flexibility to cover various medical offices when needed
• Adheres to departmental dress codes as observed by director and wears picture identification badge, 100% of the time
* Cert Medical Assistant
* High School Diploma
Experience: At least 1 year previous medical / physician office experience Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!