NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Medical Group
Department: NHMG-Myrtle Grove
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
Works under the general direction of Practice Administrator, this employee is an essential member of the health care team working with other medical professionals to provide quality health care to patients. This person is in a supervisory capacity and provides leadership, structure, guidance, support, and direct supervision of the clinical office staff.
1. Provide leadership, structure, support and direct supervision of the clinical office staff and any other staff as assigned
2. Together with the Practice Administrator and physicians, set up protocols and procedure to be followed to meet the needs of the physicians and the practice
3. Determine the roles for each member of the clinical office staff and any other staff as assigned
4. Assist with patient care with physicians and physician assistants, when necessary or requested,
5. Provide needed support to the physicians and physician assistants when requested including completing prescriptions and calling to pharmacy, finishing coding of encounter forms, writing orders for x-ray and/or lab, discussing the physicians recommendations and assisting with office procedures
6. Confirm that the patient understands what he/she is to do, that they have important questions answered, and is satisfied with the services received and treatment by staff and physicians. If complaints or questions are noted, resolves or discusses with the Patient Experience Manager or physician. If the complaints or questions are non-medical, discusses with the Practice Administrator.
7. Counsel patients concerning treatments, prescriptions, lab results and appointments
8. Act as facilitator to resolve minor issues and questions of the physicians concerning the patient flow, patient scheduling, medical supplies, etc.
9. Complete other tasks assigned by the Practice Administrator such as time cards, special projects, assisting in hiring of new employees, and implementing new protocols
10. Responsible for conducting monthly staff meetings and attending regularly scheduled supervisors’ group meetings
11. Responsible for reviewing employees’ performance, providing timely evaluations (90 days, annual, and at all other times as necessary), and following disciplinary process procedures for employees
12. Capable of working under pressure and is able to direct staff during emergencies
13. Ability to direct staff on professional and clinical aspects of safe medical care for patients
14. Test emergency equipment regularly and makes sure that all employees are properly trained on emergency equipment and procedures
15. Responsible for teaching and training employees on any new procedures and/or new equipment and providing on-going continuing education on procedures and equipment; troubleshoots all equipment failures
16. Conduct orientation for new employees to inform them of the organization’s policies, procedures and equipment
17. Ability to work well and effectively with others
18. Maintain current manuals on procedures, protocols, etc. with access by employees
19. Prepare monthly work schedule for employees and update as necessary
20. Maintain patient confidentiality; Handle confidential matters for the physicians
21. Responsible for maintaining a current inventory of drugs for use or dispensing by the providers; orders drugs and medical supplies, when needed and obtains the best pricing possible; Handle discussions with drug representatives concerning new drugs on the market, and schedules meetings with the drug representatives
22. Oversee clinical area and takes any necessary measures to be sure that the overall workings of that area function smoothly and efficiently. Fill in for all clinical positions as the patient load or need requires (e.g. staff shortages, employees out sick, PTO, etc.)
23. Responsible for completion of all patient forms including insurance, disability, FL-2 etc.
24. Maintain a copy of employee evaluations and disciplinary actions and absentee records, directs originals of the records to the human resources department
25. Receives the physician time off requests and turns the request in to the person handling the calendar. Provide a copy to the appropriate reception staff
26. Run extended holter reports for physicians when requested
27. Acts as a liaison between the clinical department and other departments in problem solving
28. Makes recommendations to the Practice Administrator regarding equipment repairs and upgrades; Troubleshoots for all employees to insure maintenance of all clinical equipment
29. Takes corrective action as needed between employees and physicians, between employees, between employees and patients, by assisting with communication and problem solving; Effectively communicates information from Practice Administrator and the Board to the staff
30. Maintains cost control in assigned area
31. Responsible for preservation and record keeping of biological
32. Provide staff education and personnel management
33. Works with administration to set up new offices (both temporary and permanent) including staffing, equipment, supplies, etc.
34. Participate in meetings or on Committees, as requested by the Practice Administrator or the Board (e.g. Compliance, Quality Assurance, Building Renovation or Expansion, etc.)
35. Demonstrates standard of performance (ownership, teamwork communication
* Registered Nurse
* Associate Degree
Experience: Must possess knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas: IV therapy, audiometry, preparation and assisting in surgery, bladder catherizations, threadmills, basic life support certifications, IM injections, sigmoidoscopy attendance, deep suctioning, emergency triage, body mechanics, port-a-cath care, phlebotomy, sterile technique, EKG’s, apply holter monitors, OSHA regulations, basic Medicare and insurance rules, and knowledge of the nursing process. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!