The Laboratory Manager for Client Services has 24-hour accountability and responsibility for laboratory operations in phlebotomy, referral lab, departmental patient access, specimen collection centers and other pre-analytical services across the health system. The manager is responsible for planning, standardizing, staffing, scheduling, budgeting, coordination and human resource activities. The manager assures quality of laboratory processes, ensures education and development of staff and students and assists technical staff as a technical resource. The manager has control over all human, financial, and informational resources allotted to the cost centers, consults with the Administrator of Laboratory and Respiratory Services, Laboratory Medical Directors, peer Laboratory Managers and other system leadership for advice and input to implement the strategic initiatives of the laboratory and the organization. The autonomy of the manager is provided and ensured by the Administrator of Laboratory and Respiratory Services. The manager assures that the standards of the CAP, AABB and DNV are met. The manager is also responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance with CLIA and laboratory billing. The manager provides direct and indirect supervision for a variety of direct reports including Medical Laboratory Assistants, Phlebotomists, Medical Laboratory Technicians, Medical Laboratory Scientists, Patient Access Technicians, and Coordinators performing phlebotomy, patient access, specimen procurement, transport, and other pre-analytical functions including interfacing with reference laboratories.
Also provides management support for the activities of other laboratory personnel by providing on-site coverage with other managers. Also participates with the other managers on rotating “Call” on a 7-day basis. Responsible for sharing the management of the daily operation of the Laboratory. Each manager must work together to provide on site coverage for efficient, cost-effective, and quality patient service in a safe environment through empowered, qualified coordinators and self-directed teams
1. Reviews daily, bi-weekly and monthly Laboratory workload totals, statistical reports and other reports to detect errors or trends.
2. Assesses and recommends changes relative to departmental productivity.
3. Coordinates the submission of data and any corrective actions to accrediting agencies. Meets with involved departments and laboratory staff to monitor compliance and accrediting agencies inspection processes. Remains knowledgeable of government regulations concerning Clinical laboratories to include CLIA, OSHA, CAP, AABB and DNV.
4. Selects, interviews and hires qualified applicants.
5. Makes recommendations regarding intra-laboratory personnel changes.
6. Prepares annual budget and monitors process of the department and other special projects as assigned.
7. Oversees supply and equipment inventories; assimilates and reviews monthly budget reports providing valid justifications for any variances and initiates corrective actions when indicated.
8. Evaluates and recommends capital equipment for the laboratory.
9. Performs performance reviews, participates in recognition of performance, counseling, and disciplinary proceedings beyond routine needs, maintains an atmosphere of confidentiality, develops and empowers staff through delegation, and develops the climate for Service Excellence
10. Represents the Medical Center and Laboratory in contacts with other health care institutions, professional groups, regulatory agencies, educational institutions vendors, clients and guests
11. Reviews professional journals to maintain current knowledge base and be aware of current trends and/or issues pertinent to the Laboratory and health care.
12. Monitor the Medical Center’s work climate survey results and submit quarterly progress reports.
* Medical Technologist
* Bachelor of Science
1. Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters preferred
2. Licensure / Certifications: Certification by ASCP or NCA. Scientist or Technologist certification required.
3. Experience: Minimum five (5) years of experience as a degreed Technologist with a minimum of three (3) years experience with supervisory responsibilities, preferably management
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.