NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Lab - Microbiology
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.100000
Work Type: 1 to 31 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: ENTERSCHED - Please Select Schedule!
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager to perform routine and specialized laboratory tests on environmental, blood and body fluid specimens as prescribed by physicians or healthcare providers in the technical area assigned. Preparation of specimens for analysis. Processes and analyzes all specimens submitted for clinical analysis by performing tests, reporting results to appropriate personnel, and maintaining instrumentation utilized.
1. Procures specimens and performs, and evaluated waived, moderately complex and highly complex laboratory analysis on blood and other body fluids.
2. Performs instrument maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting procedures.
3. Performs quality control and proficiency testing procedures.
4. Utilizes Medical Center and laboratory computer systems in performance of daily tasks.
5. Participates in the Education Program both within and outside the lab to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care.
6. Assists in the implementation of the new methodologies and procedures.
7. Participates in the implementation of and compliance with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
8. Interfaces with Medical Center personnel, physicians, staff from other facilities relative to test results.
9. Maintains adequate level of reagents/supplies to perform testing.
10. Provides assistance to other staff as needed.
* High School Diploma
1. Education: Must maintain current enrollment in a regionally accredited medical laboratory technician graduating within one year (associate’s degree) or a medical laboratory scientist program graduating within two years (bachelor’s degree). Must have successfully completed clinical rotation in the hiring department.
2. Licensure: Certification within one year of program completion required.
3. Experience: Knowledge of procedures, protocols and preparation and storage techniques within specimen processing area. Knowledge of cleaning and maintenance specifications for laboratory and/or medical equipment and materials. Skill in providing guidance and instruction in processing, automation line, basic laboratory equipment, clerical tasks, necessary computer functions and safety procedures. Ability to set up, calibrate, operate and maintain standard laboratory equipment. Ability to promote and maintain quality, safety and/or infection control practices and methods.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!