NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Renal Dialysis
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.900000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 12HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 5:30A-5:30P; Sundays 8 A-11A
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The Dialysis Water Treatment Technician works under the direction of the Nurse Manager and under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse to provide safe and effective water treatment for hemodialysis patients. The majority of this job is hands-on with equipment in the water treatment room and hemodialysis room to provide and monitor dialysis quality water for hemodialysis. Aspects of the job are to provide continuous quality improvement measures for dialysis water and assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment.
1. Works as a member of the Dialysis team so a high level of communication, cooperation and coordination are required to complete work, share information and pursue quality/performance improvement opportunities
2. Demonstrates standard of performance (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence
3. Provides safe dialysis quality water in accordance with AAMI standards and Biomedical water treatment records. Competently performs safe water treatment checks with equipment in the hemodialysis water treatment room. Documents all equipment readings noting acceptably safe parameters and communicates readings outside of parameters to dialysis charge nurse/manager, Biomed.
4. Performs water quality checks throughout the day in accordance with Departmental policy and AAMI Guidelines.
5. Prepares and mixes powder bicarbonate according to written procedure.
6. Disinfects bicarbonate loop according to written procedure and checks to ensure there is no residual disinfectant, documents and reports to charge nurse/manager before clinical use.
7. Daily cleaning and disinfection of dialysis machines.
8. Daily run of portable reverse osmosis (RO) machine and documentation.
9. Safely sets up and runs portable RO, documents on RO log.
10. Communicates any machine issues with Biomed, charge nurse/manager and removes affected machines from clinical floor documenting problem.
11. Safely prepares hemodialysis machines in hemodialysis unit, assisting RN with machine set up and testing.
12. Inspects supplies and orders as necessary.
13. Effectively and appropriately communicates information in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
14. Organizes, prioritizes and performs work effectively and efficiently.
15. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance
16. Demonstrates a daily commitment to the values of the department.
17. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with all members of the team.
18. Maintains and promotes customer satisfaction.
19. Responsible for completing a variety of department specific tasks to assist with optimal department safety and functioning.
* General Education Degree
Experience: Previous experience with water treatment industry preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!