NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Coastal Family Medicine
Department: Coastal Family Medicine
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 9HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-4P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The Medical Assistant provides direct patient care under the delegating authority of the physician or mid-level provider with supervision from the RN and/or LPN, following prescribed policies, procedures, and protocols. Provides care to patients across the life span as defined by the individual practice. Responsibilities include assisting physicians, mid-level providers and nurses in the provision of patient care as well as providing non-clinical support for the practice. Collects and communicates patient information. Performs a variety of patient care tasks as assigned.
1. Actively participates in departmental decision making and performance improvement initiatives to improve care, processes and outcomes.
2. Under the supervision of registered nurse and LPN, uses critical thinking and problem-solving skills to provide direct patient care tasks as defined by the practice.
3. Assists physicians, physician extenders and nursing staff in the provision of patient care.
4. Provides supportive services for patients which may include scheduling patient appointments/ tests/ procedures, processing specimens, communicating with patients before and after the visit and processing prescription refill requests.
5. Processes patient referrals, assuring that authorizations are obtained, appointments are made, and documentation of referral care is finalized.
6. Works with providers and nursing staff on the review of test results, communicating recommendations for follow up to patients and tracking patient compliance.
7. Communicates patient care needs to members of the health care team.
8. Participates in maintaining compliance with regulatory standards and inventory management by maintaining clinical space and organizing, stocking and cleaning examination rooms, equipment and supply cabinets.
9. Performs moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
10. Demonstrates accountability for ongoing learning & completion of required annual education/competencies.
11. Accurately documents patient care activities in the medical record within the prescribed timeframe.
12. Organizes and performs work effectively and efficiently.
13. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance.
* Cert Medical Assistant
* Reg Med Asst-Amer Med Technolo
* Cert Clinical Med Asst
* National Cert Med Assistant
* Associate Degree
Experience: 1-year clinical experience in an outpatient or physician office setting preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications. Medical Assistants hired before 10/1/19 are exempt from the accreditation requirement.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!