NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Employee Health
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR Days
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Being a complex clerical position, including some clinical duties, the Employee Health Clinic Assistant position involves multiple tasks and functions. Responsible for reviewing and disseminating confidential patient information to the appropriate clinician daily. Responsible for scheduling all appointments in Employee Health. Utilizes two electronic medical record (EMR) programs (EPIC and STIX) for registration/pre-registration. Coordinates scheduling of patients in both EMRs to prevent overbooking and maximizing productivity of clinical staff. Answers phone calls and routes to appropriate clinical staff. Frequent contact with internal and external customers. Prioritizes multiple requests from patients and clinical staff. Facilitates the flow of patient information, correspondence and lab reports to appropriate Employee Health staff. Performs respirator fit testing on all clinical staff requiring the use of an N-95 respirator and enters appropriate data into the Employee Health software system. Assists with statistical reporting and custodial clinical functions to ensure the customer is served in an expeditious, safe manner. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines, based upon completion of initial training with appropriate documentation and on going annual competency assessment. The initial competency assessment should be done six months post training, and annually thereafter. For documentation of testing performed, see the Education/Training/Competency file for the individual employee.
1. Creates an inviting environment to patients by providing excellent customer service through listening, understanding, communicating in a friendly manner and managing patient flow in a timely manner. Maintains cooperative relationships with patients, professional staff, coworkers and other areas of contact.
2. Courteously greets patients, visitors, staff, physicians and others upon their arrival in the department offering assistance and guidance when needed.
3. Answers phone customers promptly , schedules patient appointments in an accurate and competent manner with established policies and procedures.
4. Has contact with a variety of internal and external customers using professionalism and tact to ensure a positive image of department/function is conveyed.
5. Registers and pre-registers patients in the medical center electronic medical record (EPIC). Collects and corrects all patient demographic data as necessary and utilizes appropriate visit type is recorded ensuring accuracy of data collected.
6. Registers and pre-registers patients in the employee health electronic medical record (STIX). Collects and corrects all patient demographic data as necessary and utilizes appropriate visit type is recorded ensuring accuracy of data collected.
7. Maintains appointment calendars for the medical center electronic medical record (EPIC) and department employee health electronic medical record (STIX). Ensures accuracy in both system ensuring maximum optimizatiion time of providers and nurses in Employee Health and Clinic.
8. Utilizes computer for a variety of software applications to enter data. etrieves and creates a wide variety of statistical reports on request or routine schedule.
9. Ensures recordkeeping and filing systems for department/function are maintained to provide prompt retrieval and confidentiality of data as required.
10. Performs routine and confidential clerical duties daily.
11. Performs clinical functions to include vital signs and venipuncture, urine drug test collection, breath alcohol testing under the direction of a registered nurse.
12. Performs respirator fit testing following the OSHA Respiratory Protection Program regulations.
13. Assists Employee Health Services providers and clinicians during examinations as requested.
14. Prepares correspondence, documents or other printed data ensuring compliance with protocols on release of medical information and ensures confidentiality.
15. Maintains and orders office supplies and responsible for ensuring inventory meets established guidelines.
16. Performs other duties in Employee Health Services or Human Resources as assigned.
17. Participates in LEAN and performance improvement initiatives to improve processes and outcomes.
18. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance and meet department productivity goals.
19. Demonstrates accountability for ongoing learning needs, completion of annual education requirements and competencies.
* High School Diploma
1. Education: High School Diploma or equivalent Graduate of a Medical Office Assistant program, Associates Degree in Business Management or equivalent work experience and 3 years work experience in a physician’s office or similar medical office setting.
2. Licensure / Certifications: None.
3. Experience: 2 years work experience in a medical setting performing both clerical and clinical functions. Two years prior electronic medical record experience within a hospital/healthcare organization and using a variety of computer programs including Word and Excel.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.Performs other duties as assigned.Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!