The Manager of Nursing Supervision, the Administrative Operations Officers (AOOs), and Patient Placement is the clinical point person for hospital system operations and is accountable for all aspects of patient flow. The manager implements proactive strategies to optimize patient flow and throughput. The manager oversees nursing activities, operational processes, patient placement, and throughput throughout the NHRMC Medical System to assure quality patient care for all NHRMC patients, internal and external. The manager serves as the administrative leadership representative of the hospital in the absence of the administrative staff to assure 24/7 cohesive leadership is maintained. The manager functions as “Director-on-Call” in a clinical supportive off-hours role and will be available for mediation, critical thinking, and problem-solving as needed during assigned rotation. The manager will be responsible for interpreting and enforcing policies to all related departments as needed. The manager will oversee coordination and functions of the nursing units and the hospital in the absence of administrative staff, nurse managers and directors. The manager is a “working manager” and will function as AOO when needed. The manager will back up the AOO/supervisor on shift as well as cover any vacant shifts not previously filled. The manager is also the point person for the Office of Descendent Affairs (ODA) processes, maintaining data tracking and collection, and oversight for resolution of barriers to the process.
1. Accountable for the actions and activities of Nursing Supervision/Administrative Operations Officers (AOOs) and the Patient Placement Facilitators. Responsible for ensuring leaders and staff in these areas adhere to the NHRMC Standards of Performance.
2. Will support and maintain patient flow through all entry points. Will work closely with the Director of Patient Care Operations to ensure collaborative practices are maintained between the Nursing Supervisors, the AOOs, and Patient Placement Facilitators.
3. Works effectively with administration, physicians, directors, managers, nursing, Case Management, Patient Access Services, ancillary staff, other staff, patients and their families to assure safe and effective patient flow.
4. Implements the principles of coaching for success for departmental leaders and other staff, provide staff recognition, and create an environment to retain and facilitate staff development.
5. Assesses external and internal customer satisfaction through daily rounding, visibility with the units and utilizing patient satisfaction, employee satisfaction and physician satisfaction repots as a measurement
6. Supports shared governance principles, gives input to unit based practice councils as needed and supports staff attendance at meetings.
7. Responsible for the daily operations, ensuring that policies, practices, procedures and standards of performance are followed. Operates to departmental budget and is fiscally responsible for budget. Participates in yearly budget process to ensure needs of the department are met.
8. Responsible for interviewing new candidates for Nursing Supervisors/AOOs and Patient Placement Facilitators and ensures all competencies are met for staff. Will maintain attendance and service excellence standards for all staff
9. Will work closely with unit nurse managers to coach staff and to develop staff to reach higher levels of performance. Will support the unit nurse manager in all efforts to ensure smooth operations and to manage human resources.
10. Responsible for supporting staff education including clinical competence, compliance and organizational initiatives in the absence of administrative staff, nurse managers and directors
11. Provides input into annual performance appraisals for off shift and weekend staff as needed and will do evaluations for all nursing supervisors/AOOs and Patient Placement Facilitators. The manager will assist with goal setting as well as a review of goals at mid-year. The manager of the Nursing Supervisors/AOOs will facilitate internal customer satisfaction through daily rounding, visibility within the unit and utilizing employee satisfaction and physician satisfaction reports as a measurement.
12. Serves as contact and resource person for personnel within the Healthcare System and other Healthcare facilities. Serves as the contact for all public interest issues, contacts with police and other state or regulatory agencies in the absence of administrative personnel. Will follow policies for notification of Administrative Staff in the event of unusual circumstances.
13. Supports the mission, values, NHRMC Standards of Performance, accrediting body, and regulatory agencies of the medical center. Assists Unit managers in the collection of data as needed.
14. Effectively demonstrates the mission, vision and values of NHRMC on a daily basis. Role Models Standards of Performance Excellence.
15. Maintains current knowledge of management theories and annually attends leadership education classes.
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Nursing
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with BSN/BA required; Masters preferred.
Nurse Executive-Board Certified recommended and preferred
Licensure / Certifications: Current license as a registered nurse in the State of North Carolina
Experience: 1-year previous management of leadership experience preferred. Minimum of 3 years clinical nursing experience (experience at NHRMC preferred)
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.