NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: Mixed Hrs
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Nursing Unit Manager works under the supervision of the service line Director. The Manager has 24-hour accountability for patient care provided on the nursing unit and unit operations. The Manager maintains current clinical skills and is competent to support the delivery of care. This position is accountable for staffing, scheduling, managing unit operations, fiscal management and human resource management. The manager will provide input into strategic planning and budget development. The Manager is responsible for customer service excellence. The Manager is responsible for patient outcomes based on best practices and research for patient’s age neonate through geriatric that is appropriate for their developmental stage.
1. Responsible for the daily operations, ensuring that policies, practices, procedures and standards of performance are followed.
2. Develops departmental staffing schedules, to provide staffing to meet patient care requirements and operational requirements.
3. Responsible for staff education, including clinical competence, compliance and organizational initiatives.
4. Leads patient care conferences, and participates in planning effective care to meet patient’s goals for transfer/discharge. Completes daily rounds with staff and patients, regular participation in physician rounds. Daily responsibility for throughput challenges and the appropriate placement of patients.
5. Develops staff using coaching for success principles, annual performance assessment, staff education assessment and facilitates staff attendance for continuing education. Manager will be responsible for all staff performance appraisal interviews with goal setting during annual performance appraisal and a review of goals at mid-year.
6. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
7. Assesses external and internal customer satisfaction through daily rounding, visibility within the unit and utilizing patient satisfaction, employee satisfaction and physician satisfaction reports as a measurement.
8. Supports shared governance principles, participates on unit governance councils and supports staff attendance to shared governance councils including Nursing Congress.
9. Implements the principles of coaching for success, provide staff recognition and create an environment to retain and facilitate staff development.
10. Maintains clinical expertise and competence in their area of responsibility. Provides patient care at regular intervals to maintain clinical skills
11. Maintains current knowledge of management theories and annually attends leadership education classes.
12. Communicates and shares information with staff in monthly staff meetings, shared governance format, other communication mediums and daily rounding.
13. Utilizes the PDSA process and best practice research in planning the Performance Improvement goals for the unit.
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Science
Education: Bachelors Degree required. BSN preferred.
Licensure/Certifications: Current license to practice professional nursing in the State of North Carolina. BCLS required and certification in departmental specialty preferred.
Experience: Five years experience as an RN and two years management experience.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!