As part of the cardiac cath team, the Cardiac Cath Tech assists the physician in surgical and invasive percutaneous procedures, to include, but not limited to: diagnostic and peripheral angiograms, Coronary stenting, percutaneous tranluminal coronary angioplasty, atherectomies, peripheral angioplasty, carotid angiogram, iliac angiogram, renal angiogram, temporary pacemaker and assistive device placement. Performs lab administrative duties and supply inventory. The Cardiac Cath tech also monitors patients’ vital signs, and documents patient responses to the various procedures. Working under the direction of the physician, the Cardiac Cath Tech I also administers medication as ordered and documents appropriately. The initial competency assessment should be done six months post training, and annually thereafter. The Cardiac Cath Tech is responsible for his/her own continuing professional development.
1. Administers to patients in age group of adolescents through geriatric instructions on procedures, monitors vital signs, starts IVs, performs appropriate preoperative research of chart including informed consent and laboratory values.
2. Maintains established department policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
3. Operates physiological monitoring equipment. Records and interprets hemodynamic data. Maintains continuous monitoring system and monitors EKG recording, is able to identify arrhythmias.
4. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
5. Prepares documentation as required by professional/department standards.
6. Loads pressure injector with contrast media as directed. Sets controls for appropriate volume and pressure and triggers injection upon physician order.
7. Scrubs with physician, assembles sterile equipment, instruments, catheters, etc., and assists physicians with cutdown/percutaneous approach and other duties related to the sterile field. Is able to scrub right and left procedures, interventional procedures, temporary line insertions, and other miscellaneous procedures.
8. Administers prescribed medications under guidance of the physician. Observes and reports patient's response. Documents accurate notes and gives accurate report to nursing unit.
9. Assists with cardiac output determination as well as other calculations. Has good working knowledge of all diagnostic catheters, interventional catheter-based equipment and sterile supplies.
10. Responds appropriately in an emergency situation and has working knowledge of emergency medications, CPR, and defibrillation. Maintains BLS and ACLS certification
11. Takes call for emergency procedures as required and responds promptly.
12. Ensures equipment and supplies are readily available within procedure room.
* Certified Cardiovascular Tech
* Associate Degree
1. Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent required. Graduation from an accredited school of Cardiovascular Technology strongly preferred. Related work experience will be evaluated/considered.
2. Licensure\Certification: Registered or eligible Certified Cardiopulmonary or Cardiovascular Technologist (CVT) required. BLS and ACLS are required. (may be completed within 90 days of initial hire and maintained thereafter).
3. RCIS or RCES strongly preferred.
4. Experience: Cath/EP lab or related procedural experience preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.