NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Outpatient Oncology
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
Coordinates the care of solid tumor malignancies during all phases of treatment, from referral or diagnosis through survivorship. Provides high quality, comprehensive and cost-effective nursing care for both patients and their families consistent with established standards. Facilitates the transition of patients from inpatient to outpatient and vice versa throughout all phases of care.Serves as care coordinator for the multi-disciplinary team. Primary contact for access to services provided by the oncology program. The solid tumor navigator is a self-directed individual whose primary function is that of expert practitioner, with essential educator, consultant, case management, and managerial role components.
- Adheres to New Hanover Regional Medical Center rules, regulations and policies.
- Demonstrates expertise in critical thinking and nursing problem solving skills based on theoretical knowledge, clinical expertise, and sound judgment.
- Performs duties and responsibilities of a nurse clinician as required, including but not limited to care coordination and physical and psychosocial nursing assessment.
- Reviews and reports the results of the health status assessment and physical examination, pertinent laboratory data, radiographic data, and psychosocial assessment of assigned patients to the attending and collaborating physicians and multi-disciplinary care team. Shares test results with patients and continues on-going treatment and caregiver education.
- Assists in the identification of patient eligible for current research studies.
- Assists in the management of symptoms/toxicities/health abnormalities related to treatment which includes surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and rehabilitation following treatment in collaboration with the attending and collaborating physicians and multi-disciplinary care team.
- Facilitates consultations, pre-testing, diagnostic tests or procedures and future appointments required for initial treatment consultations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of standards for solid tumor patients in conjunction with other health care professionals.
- Communicates with the financial coordinator and assists with patient and/or drug assistance as necessary.
- Assists with marketing of oncology and navigation programs to other health care professionals, payers, and community.
- Assesses educational and discharge planning needs for the patients and their caregivers.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and provision of educational programs for patients, families, and the community
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of department and institutional goals for the solid tumor malignancy clinic.
- Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of standards of practice for the solid tumor malignancy clinic.
- Assists with maintaining regulatory compliance, quality assurance, and data management as needed,
- Evaluates the clinical outcomes of nursing practice, resource utilization, and environmental conditions.
- Communicates essential information regarding patient status at all phases.
- Assists with insurance issues, ordering and review of diagnostic testing, and writing treatment orders.
- Familiar with all nursing policies and procedures of practice for New Hanover Regional Medical Center and the Zimmer Cancer Center.
- Assists and supports other departments when needed.
- Displays excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possesses knowledge of clinic and nursing structure standards/policies.
- Demonstrates self-directed learning through completion and maintenance of orientation requirements, nursing certification, updates, and continuing education programs.
- Possesses clinical assessment skills relative to oncology patients and families.
* Registered Nurse
* Oncology RN Cert
* ONS Chemo & Biotherapy
* Associate Degree
* Bachelor of Nursing
Experience: Minimum of 5 years experience as an actively practicing registered nurse, 2 years of oncology and chemotherapy experience required.
ONS Chemotherapy and OCN preferred (required within one year of role assumption).
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!