NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Lab - Microbiology
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 10HR NIGHT - Most of shift btwn 7P-7A
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Pathology Laboratory Manager. The Cytoprepatory Technician assists in fine needle aspirate specimen collection. The Cytoprepatory Technician in Anatomic Pathology is responsible for transporting specimens, documenting receipt, processing specimens, preparing specimens for testing and entering patient and specimen information into the Anatomic Pathology computer system. The Technical Assistant II serves as a primary link for the laboratory and interacts with physicians, guests, patients, family members, and other Medical Center staff to obtain or clarify information for laboratory records. Must have excellent prioritization skills, ability to manage multiple tasks and excellent customer service skills. Assist Pathology Laboratory Manager in assuring department meets all standards for CAP, Accrediting Body, OSHA, Infection Control, Safety and NHRMC Standards. Must have skills to assist in teaching, assessing and training of staff and students. Other functions to be performed include clerical, telephone and computer entry. The initial competency assessment should be done six months post training, and annually thereafter. For documentation of testing performed, see the Education/Training/Competency file for the individual employee.
1. Receives, processes and interprets requisitions for laboratory procedures. Performs clerical/computer duties as assigned. Utilizes anatomic pathology laboratory application and other computer systems in performance of daily tasks.
2. Transports specimens with proper safety and handling technique and precautions.
3. Process specimens per testing procedures and protocols.
4. Prioritizes workflow and make judgments relative to workload.
5. Receives interprets, and processes physician orders and patient information. Perform accurate data entry into Anatomic Pathology Computer system.
6. Complies with standards set by Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
7. Demonstrates interpersonal skills while performing assigned duties. Provides assistance and information to other staff as needed within scope of practice and with strong customer service skills.
8. Maintains supplies and work area. Handles chemicals and biohazardous materials per laboratory and safety protocol and procedure.
9. Assists in the collection of fine needle aspiration specimens and maintain annual competency. Prepares specimen, assures positive patient identification, collects and processes specimens.
10. Retrieves and communicates appropriate patient test results/information to authorized individuals.
11. Participates in the education programs both within and outside the lab to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care that ranges from neonatal to geriatric patients.
12. Generates appropriate documentation of testing and support procedures of variances involving patient specimens in compliance with laboratory and hospital policies and procedures.
* High School Diploma
Experience: One year of Anatomic Pathology specimen processing preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!