NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital
Department: CF - Lab Clinical
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager. The coordinator will be responsible for insuring the laboratory is operating in compliance with all accrediting agencies’ standards. Their responsibilities will be approximately 80% work performance and 20% management of operations and processes. Responsibilities include: establishing and maintaining accurate and compliant policies, procedures and protocols; supervision (clinical and administrative) of the sections; timely review of quality control and process management; instrument maintenance and problem solving. The coordinator will assist managers in evaluation of new instruments/equipment and laboratory procedures. The coordinator acts as a resource for patient caregivers, laboratory management, the medical director and the laboratory staff and serves as the Technical Supervisor in the absence of management.
Performs testing in the laboratory according to current Standard Operating Procedure Manual for maintenance, quality control and specimen handling and processing. Provides technical assistance to others as needed. (40% of time)
2. Organizes tasks, coordinates workflow pattern and the technical functions of the laboratory and serves as a supervisor to all staff for all laboratory sections. (10% of time)
3. Facilitates maximum efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of quality laboratory testing through daily active review of test results and implementation of appropriate quality control and preventive maintenance procedures and performance improvement monitors. Includes observation of other staff to determine competency in performance of specific tasks. Under the managers direction, evaluates staff performance.(10% of time)
4. Ensures laboratory compliance with all regulatory standards, NHRMC and departmental rules and regulations as they relate to individual job tasks. (5% of time)
5. Evaluates and solves problems related to the pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical stages of laboratory testing. Reviews performance improvement issues on a routine basis in order to resolve issues, maintain quality and document performance of individuals of the laboratory. Ensures that staff supervised are familiar with performance improvement initiatives and goals for the department.(12% of time)
6. Assists with implementation and maintenance of employee training programs that focus on theory and techniques required in the laboratory. (5% of time)
7. Remains up to date on government regulation and compliance policies and procedures. Works with management to develop procedures and monitor activities to insure appropriate systems are in place. (2% of time)
8. Participates in short-range planning, professional development of staff, budget process, goal setting, development and completion of action plans, works with manager and director in development of strategic plans. (5% of time)
9. Assists in maintaining appropriate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. (2% of time)
10. Stays current on technological advances and scientific information in specific area of responsibility through participation in professional organizations and /or continuing education and through review of scientific journals. Serves as a technical consultant to nurses, physicians, and staff. (3% of time)
11. Assists with reviewing, updating, and writing laboratory procedures; evaluates documents and implements new procedural methods and instrumentation for the lab. (5% of time)
12. Serves as CLIA Technical Supervisor and administrative representative in the absence of management.
13. Ensures that the Service Excellence Initiative is standardized throughout all laboratory shifts. (1% of time).
* Medical Technologist
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: 3+ years of experience as medical technologist in clinical laboratory testing with Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!