1. Responsible for the evaluation, diagnostic studies, and therapeutic plan of the patients on their service
2. Under supervision of senior residents or attending staff.
3. Perform the initial assessment of the patient and actively participate in all aspects of patient care, including history and physical, diagnostic and therapeutic planning, procedures, writing orders, and interactions with family.
4. Discuss cases with the attending.
5. Ensure active student involvement in the care of the patients the student is following.
6. All procedures must be done under direct or indirect approval and supervision of attending depending on level of the resident.
7. Perform ultrasounds and patient care under direct or indirect supervision of senior resident, attending or nurse practitioner, depending on the level of experience.
8. Once proficient, may perform some of these procedures independently.
9. Responsible for being familiar with patients and serving as a resource for day-by-day patient care.
10. Responsible for maintaining medical records.
11. Practice progressive supervisory role with increased teaching, consultative and research activities.