The Quality Improvement/Practice Support Consultant is a position within the Practice Support team of South East Area Health Education Center of New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Under the supervision of the Director of Practice Support, the consultant will provide “hands-on” guidance in multiple practice sites (primary care and specialty practices) in a six-county area surrounding Wilmington. The consultant will develop trusting relationships with the providers and office staff to provide end-to-end project management support and technical assistance with the progression towards practice transformation and improved delivery of care. Practice consultants provide individualized education and on-site and virtual coaching to help practices achieve success in value-based payment initiatives such as, but not limited to, Medicaid Transformation, NC Health Connex, Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (QPP-MIPS), Accountable Care Organizations (ACO), and Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH). A primary function of this role is assisting practices in implementing practice redesign and utilizing practice data to improve quality outcomes, address health disparities, and support success in a value-based payment world. It is a role that requires a solid foundational understanding for the healthcare delivery system, administrative and/or clinical experience, exceptional change management ability, proven communication organizational, time management, customer service and teamwork skills. Consultants are expected to achieve proficiency levels as outlined in the core competency list skills assessment performed annually and staying up to date with current healthcare trends. The position is covered by state and federal grant funding.
1. Meet with providers and staff regularly (in-person & remote) within caseload to manage reports and/or quality improvement data while providing guidance, recommendations, and setting a plan for meeting project milestones. This includes effective relationship management, problem solving for effective progression of goals, communicating areas of concern, barriers to achieving goals and suggestions for improvement. Provide follow up notes after each practice meeting and keep internal documentations of projects, time, and effort.
2. In partnership with Division of Health Benefits (NCDHB), provide on-site comprehensive education and assistance to help healthcare providers in Southeastern North Carolina transition to Medicaid Managed Care and post go-live support.
3. In Partnership with North Carolina Health Information Exchange Authority (NCHIEA), deliver virtual and on-site training to educate providers about the features available in the state-designated health information exchange, NC Health Connex.
4. Educate providers on the Quality Payment Program (MIPS) requirements. Provide coaching to improve clinical quality measures and promoting interoperability objectives as well as selection of improvement activities for optimal scoring and subsequent payment adjustments.
5. Coach practices on ways to optimize use of the EHR, telehealth, and health information exchanges within clinical workflows, quality improvement and chronic disease management., to meet practice requests and mandated guidelines. Collaborate with practice support consulting team members across the state as well as local community partners and stakeholders to coordinate resources needed for optimal success.
6. Maintain data on practices (i.e. status of projects, time demands, etc.) by documenting work on ‘scorecard’ and in the NCAHEC database and eventually Salesforce
7. Follow training and practice guidelines outlined by grants, UNC AHEC’s program office, and SEAHEC. Performance that support patient and practice satisfaction as well as NHRMC’s principles of service excellence (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion).
8. Perform other duties as assigned.