Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Nursing Educators
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The Clinical Education Specialist II is responsible and accountable for supporting and/or facilitating the ongoing educational needs of nursing personnel (RN, LPN, PCT, NA, Psych Tech, ED Tech, and UCs), throughout the NHRMC, who care for patients in various developmental stages. This includes orientation, on-going competency validation, and enhancement of knowledge and skills through in-service programs, based on defined patient populations and staff learning needs.
1. Assesses, plans, develops, implements and evaluates the educational needs of nursing services personnel in a variety of clinical settings. Actively participates in providing on-going continuing education programs to meet these needs based on the age and developmental stages of the patient population served. Coordinates assessment and planning to provide for individualized orientation based on demonstrated needs. Coordinates the re-assessment of nursing personnel, at the completion of orientation and when indicated by clinical performance
2. Facilitates orientation for RN, LPN, UC, PCT, NA, Psych Techs, and ED Techs including the development of curriculum, manuals, and reference materials.
3. Assumes a leadership role in coordinating efforts in the improvement of nursing practice throughout the network through working with committees, workgroups, and taskforces.
4. Prepares Registered Nurses for the role of preceptor and non-nurses for the role of orientation coach through teaching/facilitating classes and acting as a resource when issues arise.
5. Maintains a current clinical knowledge base related to the multiple specialty areas throughout the network through attendance in workshops and reviewing current literature.
6. Teaches/Facilitates computer classes for order entry, nursing documentation, and viewing of old hospital records. Acts as a resource by assisting staff members is becoming experts in nursing documentation and implementing conversions to new charting formats.
7. Has direct contact with patients when new products/equipment are introduced.
8. Contributes to the development and implementation of new policies and procedures for nursing services. Assists in the review process for current nursing services policies and procedures.
9. Maintains a current knowledge base related to resuscitation issues. Develops and teaches Code Blue and American Heart Association resuscitation classes. Prepares manuals and other teaching materials related to Code Blue training. Maintains equipment and supplies, database, and on-line registration related to Code Blue classes.
10. Participates in the planning, preparation and presentation of network education projects/classes to meet the needs of nursing services and other areas. This includes planning for continuing nursing education consistent with the ANCC Accreditation Program standards.
11. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
* Registered Nurse
* Masters of Nursing
Experience: 3 years acute care nursing, preferably in critical care especially cardiac. Experience as clinical educator or in a teaching role. Knowledge of nursing principles and techniques; adult learning theory and classroom management. Speaking before large and small groups. Knowledge of and the ability to use audiovisual equipment. Communication and literacy in the English language. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.