NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Glen Meade Center for Women's Health
Department: Glen Meade Women's Hlth-Autumn
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Through collaboration with members of the physician care team, the Patient Navigator coordinates the care of OB/GYN patients to provide optimal patient care. With a special focus on patient needs, the Patient Navigator assists with the coordination of scheduling clinic appointments, referrals support services and ongoing follow up by phone. The Patient Navigator will maintain communication between patient/family, providers, and other members of the interdisciplinary team, as needed, in an effort to promote continuity of care, with the goal of improving patient communication and overall better outcomes.
1. Collaborates and communicates with other members of the patient’s clinical care team to ensure that the patient receives rapid responses to all inquiries, test results and referrals.
2. Works as a member of the care team which includes specialists, nurses, physicians, ACP’s and other clinic team members, in delivering and developing comprehensive navigation strategies, to ensure that the patient is not experiencing any barriers to care.
3. Assesses and assists in the identification of patient eligibility for current resources outside the clinic setting to ensure better patient outcomes. This includes communicating with additional specialists and community agencies to assist with issues that could affect efficient care progression.
4. Assists families with information about future appointments, patient procedures and medical supplies through communication with the family to ensure patient adherence to specialist’s medical orders.
5. Reviews the patient’s plan of care with the patient and family to assist with needed interaction with departments or agencies to negotiate and expedite scheduling and completion of tests, procedures and consults.
6. Has a broad knowledge of community specialists and the ability to build relationships with resources outside NHRMC, to facilitate care for the patient when needed.
7. Assumes responsibility for the management of resources and identification of patient eligibility for services in the patient’s electronic chart. Through the continual cultivation of vast community resources, the Patient Navigator maintains relationships that help promote patient health even when the patient is not in the clinic setting.
Responsibility I: Administrative Support
1. Primary contact for assigned clinical care team (physicians, clinical staff and surgical scheduler)
2. Acts as a liaison between the patient and the clinical care team
3. Maintains physician Epic calendar & schedule patient appointments
4. Helps facilitate My Chart contact with patients within care team
5. Ensures that all patients phone calls are returned by end of business day
6. Provide necessary forms on completion and signatures, reviews for accuracy and notifies the patient when complete
7. Facilitates In-coming and out-going referrals for physicians
o New patient referrals are contacted within 24 hours to schedule first appointment
o Established patients are kept in constant contact with status of outgoing referral
8. Facilitates prescription refills if contacted by the patient
9. Responsible for aiding in any questions, concerns and needs for patient regarding scheduling/changing appointments. Schedules all appointments for the patients of their care team providers.
10. Appropriately documents patient contact in patient’s electronic health chart
11. Receives patients phone calls regarding issues/problems they are experiencing and coordinates responses with the clinical care team.
12. May help in obtaining any required prior authorizations for patient if being referred for outside services, i.e. Radiology, surgery, laboratory, pharmaceuticals
13. Reviews the fax server on a regular basis to transfer referrals, labs/test results, surgery notes, and other reports to the appropriate patient charts and/or provider.
14. Train other Patient Navigators as part of their on-boarding process.
Responsibility II: Clinical
1. Strong working knowledge of current medications, dosing information and prescribing requirements
2. Review patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of care, home treatments and special diets
3. Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times
4. Maintains compliancy within regulatory agencies.
Responsibility III: General Practice Duties
1. Adheres to New Hanover Regional Medical Center rules, regulations and policies.
* High School Diploma
Experience: Minimum of three years of relevant experience in an ambulatory physician practice (e.g. ambulatory clinic, acute care, physician practice, patient education, case management/social work). Must have working knowledge of practical nursing theories and policies and be able to accommodate a moderate to fast work pace. Basic clinical mathematical skills required. Must be able to accommodate a moderate to fast work pace. Have excellent customer service skills. Must be able to operate within Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel. Prior experience in an EMR (electronic medical record) environment preferred. Epic experience a plus. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!