NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Glen Meade Center for Women's Health
Department: Glen Meade Women's Hlth-Wilm
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: ENTERSCHED - Please Select Schedule!
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Clinical Manager and the Professional Registered Nurse to perform a variety of clinical and clerical duties associated with medical laboratory testing of patients. The Lab Tech is responsible for blood and/or body fluid specimen collection. This individual receives processes, and performs routine or specialized tests in medical laboratory to provide data for use in diagnostic and treatment of disease. The Lab Tech is the primary link between the laboratory and the patient.
1. Interpret physician’s orders and secure a requisition before performing test.
2. Properly identify the patient, using two patient identifiers and a time out before collecting and labeling of the specimen.
3. Observe principles of asepsis to obtain the correct amount and type of specimen.
4. Conduct quantitative and qualitative chemical analyses of body fluids such as blood, urine and spinal fluid etc.
5. Complete appropriate routing, handling and processing of various medical specimens in an accurate and timely manner.
6. Perform daily QC, POCT testing and moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
7. Record QC, POCT and waived point of care testing results on proper forms and maintain in lab log book.
8. Participate in Quality Assurance activities.
9. Maintains equipment, supplies, and work area per CLIA and NHRMC-PG standards.
10. Assist others when needed for procedures previously trained to perform.
11. Participate in continuing education and special projects.
12. Document all request and results of lab work accurately.
13. Perform daily quality control and cleaning procedures per guidelines.
14. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with team members.
15. Contributes to the effectiveness of the department promoting customer satisfaction.
16. Promotes new and innovative ideas that enable improved customer service.
17. Interacts with other providers and other staff to provide optimal patient care.
18. Apprise and consult with management regarding issues affecting patient and achieving department goals.
19. Responsible for training, counseling, and teaching of employees in the laboratory.
20. Responsible for documentation of quality control indicators and scheduling and maintaining equipment maintenance.
21. Monitor, order and stock supplies as needed.
* High School Diploma
Experience: One year related experience in Laboratory testing. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!