The Cardiac Surgery PI/ECMO Program Mgr is focused on the specific patient population undergoing open heart or other cardiac surgical procedures. The Cardiac Surgery PI/ECMO Program Mgr has knowledge of cardiac and vascular disease, risk factors and co-morbidities that contribute to patient outcomes. The Cardiac Surgery PI/ECMO Program Mgr continuously develops and maintains their own expertise in cardiac surgical treatment plans including the use of advanced technologies such as ECMO, IABP, ventricular assist devices, and TAVR. Utilizing expert clinical knowledge and assessment skills, the Cardiac Surgery PI/ECMO Program Mgr assists with the delivery of care at the staff level through assessment, education and coaching of staff. Has knowledge of the continuum of care, from patient selection and pre-admission testing through a successful transition to the home-care environment. They have a multi-faceted role, incorporating the primary components of clinical practice, education, evidence based research and leadership into the care of New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s patients. Iis accountable for facilitating quality patient outcomes and appropriate resource utilization. Is self-directed and acts as an effective leader, catalyst for change, and role model for quality nursing. The AC is also prepared to assist in the organization and coordination of care and resources, and works to control costs.
1. Applies the nursing process to enhance the clinical outcomes of patients, based on an appropriate plan of care. Assists nurses in the clinical environment to develop assessment skills, competencies, critical thinking and comprehensive plans of care.
2. Incorporates education into practice with assigned patient population and contributes to the professional development of the health care team relative to the population. Coordinates and participates in classroom and clinical education applicable to the clinical population.
3. Provides expertise and education to nursing and other departments in specific patient care situations.
4. Participates in and facilitates effective daily patient rounds for the service.
5. Consults with cardiovascular surgeon group regularly to identify and plan care for patients with complex needs, assists staff nurses to develop skills in gathering appropriate clinical data and communication with physicians when addressing patient problems. Utilizes advanced clinical knowledge to assess the needs of patients and families with complex problems.
6. Provides leadership in developing and implementing care conferences.
7. Provides guidance and direction in planning, implementing and developing total patient care, based on the assessment of patient’s physical, psychosocial and cultural needs, age and functional status. Engages staff nurses in this process with the goal of developing skills in this area.
8. Provides direct and indirect care to complex patients in collaboration with staff. Develops a schedule and provides support to day and night shift in response to educational needs of department staff.
9. Actively participates in the ongoing evaluation of patient care delivery. Attends quality improvement and practice group meetings.
10. Uses information from established quality databases and benchmarks to communicate outcomes and help formulate multi-disciplinary improvement plans.
11. Facilitates the development, implementation and evaluation of standards/guidelines of nursing care practice. Works with leadership in all cardiac services departments to accomplish this goal.
12. Demonstrates competence of evidence based practice by implementing accepted guidelines into the care of the patient, development of policy and procedures into improvement initiatives. Follows established organizational processes to develop and implement new policies and/or care pathways.
13. Consults with physicians and multidisciplinary healthcare team members to solve specific patient care problems within the area of expertise.
14. Develops, implements and evaluates teaching strategies for a specific population in collaboration with staff, physicians and management.
15. Plans, designs, implements and evaluates educational programs in specialty area.
16. Maintains current knowledge and competence in cardiac surgical advanced technologies (i.e.. ECMO, TAVR, ventricular assist devices, IABP) by seeking formal education and clinical experience.
17. Serves as a resource for continued learning and professional self-development of staff and peers.
18. Participates in organizational professional education and achieves and maintains credentialing.
19. Collaborates with and supports managers in all cardiac surgical patient care areas with respect to clinical care delivery and day-to-day operations.
20. Serves as a facilitator, innovator and problem solver regarding state of the art of nursing care with direct involvement in techniques, equipment and standardizing care.
21. Participates in efforts to promote problem solving of professional practice issues, profession development of staff, and performance improvement activities.
22. Critically analyzes current nursing research and literature, incorporates findings to improve own practice, and shares pertinent findings with nursing staff to improve patient/family care. Identifies nursing research problems within the department and participates in research efforts. Incorporates valid research findings into own practice and facilitates the research-based practice of other nurses.
23. Maintains clinical expertise by attendance at outside continuing education activities and demonstrates professional involvement.
24. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with all members of the team.