The Dosimetrist, under the general supervision of the Radiation Oncologist and Medical Physicist, is responsible for performing complex computation and verifications of treatment plans by means of computer and/or manual calculation with optimal beam geometries to deliver prescribed radiation dose and spare critical structures in accordance with the Radiation Oncologist’s prescription.
1. Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning:
• Designs treatment plans in accordance with the Radiation Oncologist’s prescription.
• Seeks assistance for complex treatment plans; for example gap calculations, unusual electron and IMRT cases.
• Identifies and contours normal and dose-limiting structures by utilizing images from one for more data sets.
• Demonstrates proficiency in image registration with various image data sets to include CT, MRI and PET.
2. Advises and assists radiation therapists with the implementation of treatment plans including: the correct use of immobilization devices, compensators/bolus, wedges, field arrangement, and other treatment or imaging parameters.
3. Performs calculations for the accurate delivery of the prescribed dose, documents all pertinent information in the patient record, and verifies the mathematical accuracy of all calculations by an approved method.
4. Assists in weekly chart review for completeness of chart: photos, setup information, revisions, prescriptions, and required signatures.
5. Completes appropriate billing/coding procedures.
6. Attends educational meetings/seminars to improve technical skills and knowledge.
7. Maintains a proactive attitude to problem solving and troubleshooting.
8. Provides high quality service to all patients and members of staff at NHRMC.
9. Participates in record keeping and documentation as needed.
10. Compliance with workplace policies and procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control.
11. Active participation in activities associated with the management of workplace health and safety.
12. Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, accidents incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace.