In collaboration with the perioperative RN in the circulating role, the Surgical Technologist functions as a member of the team to maintain an environment that facilitates a safe patient outcome. Intraoperatively plans for and responds to the needs of the surgeon and other team members by watching the sterile field and applying knowledge of the planned surgical procedure and the anatomy of the patient to adjust to unexpected findings that may alter the surgical procedure and required instruments or supplies.
1. Assist with the development of a plan of care based upon the assessment of the patient.
2. Maintains professional standards by participating in in-service, committees, staff needs.
3. Anticipates needs of the surgeon during the surgical case.
4. Competently handles instruments, supplies and equipment during surgical procedures.
5. Responsible for maintaining sterile field.
6. Assists with decontamination of instruments.
7. Competent in operating all reprocessing and sterilization equipment within the surgical department.
8. Facilitates patient/family teaching as directed.
9. Assists in operating room turnover/environmental sanitation-equipment needs.
10. Utilizes PPE per infection control guidelines.
11. Competent in preparation, care & cleaning of gastroscopes and colonoscopes. 12. Maintains adequate supply inventory under supervision Surgical Services Manager.
13. Reviews surgical schedule & pulls cases.