NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Director and Managers to prepare, label and dispense, as well as maintain appropriate records for all medications and other pharmaceutical supplies ordered by physicians or other qualified prescribers. Accepts responsibility for the operation of a pharmacy in conformance with all statutes and rules pertinent to the practice of pharmacy and distribution of drugs at specific location. Precepts pharmacy students. Work is accomplished in accordance with the policies and regulations of local, state and federal authorities as well as accepted standards of practice.
1. Responsible for the safe and effective distribution of, control over and accountability for medications at NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital, including emergency medication supplies, including NC Public Health Preparedness & Response chempack, if applicable.
2. Compounds, prepares, labels, and dispenses medications (sterile and non-sterile) for all age groups according to accepted standards of practice.
3. Performs computer order-verification functions in an accurate and timely manner.
4. Assists in maintaining an acceptable inventory of medications and pharmaceutical supplies under proper conditions of storage and security.
5. Supervises and verifies appropriate and accurate drug distribution tasks performed by support and technical staff.
6. Effectively uses all necessary forms of informatics.
7. Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
Direct Patient Care Activities
1. Interprets medication orders, monitors drug regimens, and performs interventions when order clarification is necessary or when therapeutic problems are identified.
2. Meets and maintains competencies to perform the required duties of the position. See Department Requirement for Position Minimum Competencies for a Pharmacist II.
3. Assists with formulary and DUE program activities.
4. Promotes the use of cost-effective drug therapy.
5. Participates in the adverse drug reaction reporting process. Able to evaluate and complete ADR reports.
6. Documents activities per departmental policies.
7. Provides general drug information services and formally responds to general drug information requests.
8. Works with other health care providers, including participating in rounds and other patient care activities, to optimize medication regimens using evidence-based medicine and standards of care.
9. Provides services that maximize the hospital’s ability to meet national indicators (CMS quality indicators, etc.).
1. Trains and orients new employees.
2. Assists in orienting others outside the department regarding the work of the pharmacy (i.e., physicians, including residents and students, nursing personnel, etc.).
3. Counsels patients, families, and/or caregivers per departmental policies.
4. Participates in staff meetings.
5. Obtains and maintains Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification (if in acute care practice).
6. Provides educational information for professional and/or non-professional audiences on at least an annual basis.
1. Ensures pharmacy complies with accepted standards of practice and adheres to federal, state and local regulations, as well as the policies and procedures of the organization and department.
2. Assists with staffing problems as needed and is able to suggest ways to efficiently distribute work flow.
3. Supervises support personnel in a consistent and fair manner.
4. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and effectively organize workload and problem-solve.
5. Communicates effectively in verbal and written interactions.
6. Participates in quality improvement projects.
7. Demonstrates the ability to implement new programs/improvements with minimal supervisory assistance.
8. Participates in at least one departmental or hospital committee
* Bachelors Degree
Experience: Direct patient care required, pharmacy department will assess. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!