NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job - #EntryLevel - this is an onsite, entry-level position
Location: NHRMC Business Center A
Department: Health Information Management
Full Time Equivalent: full-time
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm with rotating holidays required
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do - This person will spend the majority of the day on the telephone responding to medical records request
Works under the general direction of the Health Information Management (HIM) Manager. Processes all pertinent incoming or outgoing paperwork in accordance with daily job duties. All work is carried out in accordance with the department’s approved policies and procedures. Performs other duties as assigned. Performs and assist the HIM Lead Clerk in duties that are needed or assigned.
- Adheres to department policies and procedures to accomplish specific assigned tasks. Processes all pertinent paperwork as applicable to the specific processes of Health Information Management and assigned duties. (i.e. processing loose paperwork, prepping paperwork, retrieval of records, scanning/indexing, release of information for continuity of care, etc.)
- Ensures that each document is prepped/scanned/indexed to the correct encounter/patient in the EMR. Ensures the quality of the scanned images are clear and correct.
- Assesses and checks scanned images against accuracy and quality requirements
- Reconciles paper records with hospital census reports to ensure receipt of all patient records
- Meets assigned productivity standards according to department policies. Staff is productive in meeting assigned tasks and job duties. Submits complete and accurate productivity reports..
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to use computer software as job duties dictate for the Document Management System and Electronic Medical Record.
- Ensures flow of clinical documentation to appropriate work queues for internal and external audits.
- Support Team efficiency and effectiveness to enhance quality and quantity of work output. Provides work output that is correct and minimal follow up guidance is necessary.
- Assists with basic care and maintenance of the workstation equipment.
- Promotes public relations through prompt and courteous service.
- Fosters respect for patient privacy by maintaining confidentiality in all phases of work.
- Effectively demonstrates the mission, vision, and values of the medical center on a daily basis.
- Education: High School Graduate required. Preference will be given to the candidate with a two to four-year degree in a health related field. Must posses basic clerical training, which includes computer skills, basic filing skills (including terminal digit filing), and fundamental knowledge of office procedures. Basic knowledge of medical record content and sequence. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Licensure / Certifications: Valid NC driver’s license. Must be insurable and bondable, if requested. Driving record will be verified. Must attend initial Defensive Driving Class offered by the Medical Center and maintain Defensive Driving Certification via examination annually thereafter.
- Experience: 2 years of clerical experience preferred. Ability to lift a minimum of 25lbs
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence. Performs other duties as assigned. Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!