Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Nursing Educators
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The Clinical Education Specialist I is responsible and accountable for supporting and/or facilitating the ongoing educational needs of nursing personnel (RN, LPN, PCT, NA, Psych Tech, ED Tech, and UCs), throughout the NHRMC, who care for patients in various developmental stages. This includes orientation, on-going competency validation, and enhancement of knowledge and skills through inservice programs, based on defined patient populations and staff learning needs.
1. Assesses the educational needs of nursing services personnel in a variety of clinical settings. Actively participates in providing on-going continuing education programs to meet these needs based on the age and developmental stages of the patient population served. Coordinates assessment to provide for individualized orientation based on demonstrated needs. Coordinates the re-assessment of nursing personnel, at the completion of orientation and when indicated by clinical performance
2. Facilitates orientation for RN, LPN, UC, PCT, NA, Psych Techs, and ED Techs including the development of curriculum, manuals, and reference materials.
3. Participates in the improvement of nursing practice throughout the network through working with committees, workgroups, and taskforces.
4. Prepares Registered Nurses for the role of preceptor and non-nurses for the role of orientation coach through teaching/facilitating classes and acting as a resource when issues arise.
5. Maintains a current clinical knowledge base related to the multiple specialty areas throughout the network through attendance in workshops and reviewing current literature.
6. Teaches/Facilitates computer classes for order entry, nursing documentation, and viewing of old hospital records. Acts as a resource by assisting staff members is becoming experts in nursing documentation and implementing conversions to new charting formats.
7. Has direct contact with patients when new products/equipment are introduced.
8. Contributes to the implementation of new policies and procedures for nursing services.
9. . Omit this, covered in #2.
10. Maintains a current knowledge base related to resuscitation issues. Teaches Code Blue and American Heart Association resuscitation classes. Maintains equipment and supplies, database, and on-line registration related to Code Blue classes.
11. Participates in the presentation of network education projects/classes to meet the needs of nursing services and other areas.
12. May perform moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Nursing
1. Education: BS in Nursing or related field required.
2. Licensure/Certifications: North Carolina State Board of Nursing. BLS certification required.
3. Experience: OR experience preferred. Three years acute care nursing, preferably in clinical specialty. Experience as clinical educator or in a teaching role preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.