NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Novant Health Heart and Vascular Institute
Department: Outpatient - Pharmacy
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
This clinical pharmacist will maintain a clinical practice and actively contribute to the continuity of care for designated patient population.
Clinical Practice and Medication Management:
- Provides clinical leadership for medication use within cardiac modality.
- Participates in clinic by providing clinical pharmacy services and assists with safe use of medication. This includes prescribing, dispensing, administering, and monitoring of medications. This may include, but is not limited to:
o Providing medication counseling/education
o Interpreting pharmacokinetic/therapeutic drug monitoring data
o Screening for drug interactions, therapeutic duplications, omissions, etc.
o Monitoring patients for therapeutic and/or toxic response to medication
o Collaborating with care team to develop clinical responses to prior authorizations.
o Assisting with review and management of specialty drugs
o Coordinating medication-based reviews with team.
o Ensuring continuity of care and access with all medications
o Assisting leadership with developing/expanding pharmacist patient care activities
- Provides support to improve safety and to reduce risk to patients treated in the cardiology program.
- Reports events and/or concerns via the safety reporting system.
- Provides oversight of cost-effective use of medications and treatments. This includes risk reduction and correct utilization of resources to optimize care.
- Provides coordination and oversight of high-acuity patients from inpatient to ambulatory setting.
- Provides leadership in developing guidelines, order forms, and critical pathways to improve the care and safety of patients (including new clinics if necessary).
- Provides clinical support to Clinical Pharmacist Practitioners across the organization as indicated by patient care requirements.
- Participates in system population health initiatives to improve/coordinate patient care.
- Provides leadership to maintain accreditation standards within the realm of medication use within the cardiac practice.
- Coordinates with NH NHRMC Retail/Specialty pharmacies and patient assistance teams to provide seamless medication access to all patients.
- Facilitates prescription fulfillment through NH NHRMC Retail/Specialty pharmacies.
- Serves as a resource for NH NHRMC retail/specialty pharmacy staff on cardiology related medication issues.
- Proactively assesses and ensures medication adherence and makes appropriate documentation on the inquiry.
- Develops and participates in pharmacy-related research projects and quality improvement initiatives.
- Provides staff education for critical elements of medication use in patient care and clinical research.
- Educates medical, nursing, and pharmacy staff about the management, prescribing, and monitoring of cardiology therapies.
- Participates in the training of new team members, pharmacy students and pharmacy residents.
- Provides leadership support for research efforts in patient care areas.
- Presents scholarly materials at educational conferences for the program and pharmacy professional meetings and organizations (NH NHRMC, State/Local, National).
- Understands and actively participates in the achievement of division and departmental financial goals.
- Maintains familiarity with all departmental programs and works as integral part of the pharmacy team.
- Participates in appropriate interdepartmental & organizational committees/meetings and represents RASP interests in support of departmental goals/initiatives.
- Models behaviors that exemplify Novant Health NHRMC’s guiding principles.
- Takes responsibility for personal and professional growth.
- Pursues Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) upon hire in coordination with practice and pharmacy leadership.
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: 3-5+ years of clinical practice experience or experience in managing cardiac patients AND/OR PGY1 Ambulatory Care residency with cardiology focused rotation(s) AND BCPS, BCACP or BCCP board certification in Cardiology or Ambulatory preferred and a demonstrated ability to achieve positive patient outcomes in a similar environment.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!