The Support Associate II- Pathology works under the supervision of the Anatomic Pathology Manager and Pathologists. The associate is responsible for photocopying of pathology reports, distribution of report copies, processing typed correspondence, receiving and placing telephone calls on behalf of the Pathology Department. The associate must possess a working knowledge of the computer keyboard and must be capable of being trained on the pathology computer system.
1. Answer telephone calls in the department and respond to: (1) request for reports and slides; (2) calls for Pathologists; (3) request for general information.
2. Photocopy, separate and distribute report copies (chart, tumor board, billing and physician copies).
3. Process according to Department policy typed letters, correspondence, minutes and type lab and/or pathology procedures, etc.
4. Interface with Medical Center personnel, physicians, and staff from other facilities relative to pathology report results.
5. File reports slides and blocks.
6. Put together slides, blocks and/or reports for referral to outside agencies plus legal cases as directed.
7. Receive and place telephone calls on behalf of the Pathology Department.
8. Fax pathology reports to medical personnel as they reach “signed out” status.
9. Compile slides and reports that pathologists need for weekly tumor board.
10. Receive and process specimens (blocks, slides) from outside facilities for consultations.
11. Assist other lab and hospital staff with their work process.
12. Send out Pathology specimens (Kidney biopsy, Flow) to other laboratories for testing.
13. Maintain a tracking system in CoPath for send out slides when reports are received and all materials are returned. 14. Maintain the print chutes for autofaxing and autoprinting of Pathology reports.