Works under the general supervision of the Lead Phlebotomist, Phlebotomy Coordinator or Laboratory Manager this employee draws blood from patients in the physician’s office or similar facility for analysis or other medical purposes.
1. Greet patient
2. Assemble equipment such as tourniquet, needles, disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified test or procedures
3. Verify or record identify of patient or donor and converse with patient to allay fear of procedure
4. Apply tourniquet to arm, locate accessible vein, swab puncture area with antiseptic and insert needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube
5. Withdraw needle, apply treatment to puncture site and label and store blood container for subsequent processing
6. Prick finger to draw blood