Responsible for the leadership, planning, daily operations, employee relations, financial management, maintenance of standards of performance, and customer satisfaction for Case Management, which includes the following functions: Case Management, Discharge Planning, and Social Work Services for all Acute Care Services at New Hanover Campus, Orthopedic Hospital, Cameron Women and Children’s Hospital, Emergency Departments and the Zimmer Cancer Center.
1. Directs hospital-based care management efforts provided by RN Case Managers, Social Workers and Discharge Facilitator staff that focus on promoting efficient and effective utilization of resources, timely discharge of patients with appropriate and safe plans for post-hospital care, with an emphasis on quality outcomes.
2. Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team at the Cameron Women and Children’s Hospital to ensure that the unique needs of Mothers and Babies, Neonates in the NICU and Children cared for in the pediatric units and clinic are addressed via effective case management and social work processes.
3. Supports organization wide efforts to prevent readmissions.
4. Works collaboratively with the leadership of the various service lines, such as, but not limited to, Oncology, Emergency Department, Cardiovascular, Orthopedics, and Neurology to support initiatives for care improvement.
5. Evaluates and revises CM Model of care to support hospital wide initiatives.
6. Serves as hospital liaison to the post-acute providers and works collaboratively with them to promote smooth care transitions.
7. Develops and maintains reports to evaluate effectiveness of CM efforts
8. Works collaboratively with service line leaders to support patient throughput improvement efforts.
9. Participates in and supports the attainment and analysis of data to minimize variations in practice patterns and optimize lengths of stay and resource utilization.
10. Hires and retains competent, service excellence oriented staff.
11. Ensures staffing is sufficient and employees are adequately trained to provide high quality services to patients and their families, physicians, other healthcare providers. Responsible for evaluation and disciplinary process.
12. Assists in developing and implementing mechanisms and criteria for evaluating department performance in relation to desired outcomes, based on benchmarking data as well as customer needs and expectations.
13. In coordination with the Director, establishes and monitors departmental objectives relative to the organizational goals.
14. Maintains departmental budget within established guidelines.
15. Develops collaborative relationships with other departments, entities, and external health care agencies to facilitate and support quality of care.
16. Demonstrates effective leadership and communication skills to collaborate with a variety of persons, including the patient, public, coworkers, guests, payers, outside agencies and medical staff.
17. Organizes and performs work responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Nursing
1. Education: Graduation from accredited School of Nursing. BS in clinical discipline. MSN, MHA, or Masters Degree in an equivalent field preferred.
2. Licensure / Certifications: Current license to practice professional nursing in State of North Carolina. Certification in Case Management preferred. American Heart Association BLS required.
3. Experience: 5-10 years increasing management experience in acute care preferred. Recent experience leading a case management department in an acute care hospital, preferably of comparable size and services preferred. Documented ability to achieve positive outcomes related to length of stay, denials management, and the like.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.Performs other duties as assigned.Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.