NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Pender Memorial Hospital
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.900000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: WOW-DAY12 - Wknd shift btwn 7A-7P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Supervisor or Manager, Laboratory Services. Medical Laboratory Technicians are responsible for the procurement of blood and analytical evaluation of blood and other body fluids. All tests must be performed with accuracy and precision. Medical Laboratory Technicians must have working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation including operation, maintenance and troubleshooting. They must perform and record data from quality control procedures. Medical Laboratory Technicians are expected to participate in the education program of the laboratory and must have the ability to make decisions and solve problems. The scope of patient care ranges from neonatal to geriatric patients.
1. Prepares patients, properly identifies patient and procures specimens, performs, and evaluates waived, moderately complex and highly complex laboratory analyses on blood and other body fluids. Prioritizes workflow and makes judgments relative to workload.
2. Reviews relevant laboratory reports for extraordinary results and clerical errors before they are reported to the patient's medical record, including reports on procedures processed in reference laboratories.
3. Performs instrument maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting procedures in accordance with defined policies and protocols and logs preventive maintenance of equipment. Logs performance of equipment, including daily temperature and humidity checks.
4. Performs quality control and proficiency testing procedures.
5. Assists Medical Technologists with investigating and resolving problems and unusual situations, recommending solutions. Ensures patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
6. Utilizes Medical Center and laboratory computer systems in performance of daily tasks.
7. Participates in the Education Program both within and outside the laboratory to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care.
8. Participates in implementation of and compliance with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
9. Assist in the implementation of new methodologies and procedures as assigned by management.
10. Participates in the education and training of students from accredited programs and new employees.
11. Participates in the annual evaluations and documentation of competencies of all testing personnel.
12. Interfaces with hospital personnel, physicians, staff from other facilities relative to test results and procedure information.
13. Maintains adequate level of reagents/supplies to perform testing.
14. Generates appropriate and required documentation of testing and support procedures, i.e. corrective action taken.
* Med Lab Tech
* Associate Degree
Experience: None required. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!