NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NH NHRMC) is looking for a highly skilled pharmacist to provide pharmaceutical care to adults in our outpatient Oncology space, with some inpatient responsibilities. NH NHRMC is the 9th largest health-system in North Carolina with 800 + beds and is a comprehensive stroke and level II trauma, teaching community hospital. The Zimmer Cancer Center (ZCC) and Brunswick Forest sites consist of outpatient chemotherapy, infusion therapy, and radiation services. Around 90 patients are seen daily in the oncology infusion center at ZCC, with 30 patients a day at Brunswick Forest.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Clinical Pharmacist works under the direction of the Director, Managers or designated Leader to prepare, label and dispense, as well as maintain appropriate records for all medications and other pharmaceutical supplies ordered by physicians or other qualified prescribers. Provides pharmaceutical care to all age groups from birth to geriatrics. Works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide evidence-based, cost-effective care. Precepts pharmacy students and residents. Work is accomplished in accordance with the policies and regulations of local, state and federal authorities as well as accepted standards of practice. Performs other duties as assigned.
Pharmacists work with other healthcare providers to optimize medication regimens using evidence-based medicine and standards of care. The pharmacist will enter into a collaborative practice agreement with medical and gynecologic oncologists, focusing on toxicity assessment, treatment plan development and review, patient education, and supportive care follow-up. Other responsibilities include: providing educational in-services, developing policies and/or processes to improve departmental operations, participation in at least one departmental or hospital committee, and serving as student and resident preceptor. Breakdown of job responsibilities include: direct patient care (70%), order verification/distribution (10%), education (15%), and administration (5%).
1. Compounds, prepares, labels, and dispenses medications (sterile and non-sterile) for all age groups according to accepted standards of practice.
2. Performs computer order-entry functions in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Assists in maintaining an acceptable inventory of medications and supplies under proper conditions of storage and security.
4. Supervises and verifies appropriate and accurate drug distribution tasks performed by support and technical staff.
5. Effectively uses all necessary forms of informatics.
Direct Patient Care Activities
1. Interprets medication orders, monitors drug regimens, and intervenes when order clarification is necessary or when therapeutic problems are identified.
2. Counsels patients, families, and/or caregivers on medication therapy per departmental standards.
3. Promotes the use of cost-effective drug therapy.
4. Participates in the occurrence reporting process for medication errors and adverse drug reactions.
5. Documents activities per departmental policies
6. Provides general drug information services and formally responds to drug information requests.
7. Assists with formulary management activities.
1. Participates in the training, orientation and education of pharmacy students, pharmacy residents and/or new department employees.
2. Assists in orienting other health care professionals regarding the work of the pharmacy department (i.e., physicians, including residents and students, nursing personnel, etc.).
3. Meets and maintains competencies to perform the required duties of the position.
4. Obtains and maintains Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS) certification. (Must be obtained within 60 days of hire date)
5. Obtains and maintains Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification if required in practice area. (Must be obtained within 90 days of hire or initiation of practice in that area)
1. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and effectively organize workload and problem-solve.
2. Supervises support and technical personnel in a consistent and fair manner.
3. Assists with identification and resolution of opportunities for improvement in pharmacy services
4. Follows accepted standards of practice and adheres to federal, state and local regulations, as well as the policies, procedures and standard work of the organization and department
5. Communicates effectively in verbal and written interactions.
6. Supports the health system and department goals and the NHRMC Mission Statement
7. Performs duties as otherwise assigned
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: Postgraduate residency training or equivalent experience will be required in some practice areas. (Department will assess) Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Applicants must have graduated from an ACPE-accredited College of Pharmacy, have completed a PGY2 Oncology residency or equivalent with significant oncology experience, and be eligible for North Carolina licensure. Board Certification must be obtained for credentialing at NH NHRMC.Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Keywords: Clinical Pharmacist, Pharmacist, Pharmacy, Novant Health, New Hanover Regional Medical Center, NHRMC, Wilmington, NC.