The Care Associate provides and documents assistance to patients with activities of daily living, comfort measures, and maintains a safe and clean environment under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
• Immediately notifies nurse of changes in patient's condition or behavior.
• Immediately notifies nurse of vital signs and finger stick blood glucoses outside of normal ranges.
• Assists patients with hand hygiene and personal care by obtaining and setting up bath supplies, obtaining linens, and providing clean gown. Assists patients with comfort measures by providing additional blankets and pillows, straightening bed sheets, fluffing pillows, and adjusting room temperature. Makes unoccupied bed.
• Keeps patient rooms clean and neat by gathering supplies and stocking rooms, tidying room clutter, emptying trash, and removing dirty linen.
• Assists with patient's nutritional needs by preparing patients for mealtime by passing trays and picking up trays.
• Assists with patient's elimination needs by bringing bedpan/urinal and assisting to bathroom.
• Adheres to safety measures: Uses side rails as needed, keeps call bell close to patient, employs infection prevention measures (handwashing, posted isolation precautions, universal precautions). Utilizes safety devices and good body mechanics to avoid injury to patient or self. Employs emergency restraint removal when needed. Initiate, maintain, and verify bed alarms. Assists with patient mobilization as directed by nurse. Cleans equipment according to policy and returns it to appropriate area and unit. Maintains cleanliness in patient room, utility room, and desk area. Keeps hallways clear of equipment. Participates in hourly rounding.
• Obtains and records vital signs using electronic equipment: temperature (oral and axillary), pulse, respirations, blood pressure, pulse oximetry. Obtains capillary blood glucose readings using point of care testing device. Measures height and weight (stand-up scales/bed scales).
• Assists in admission, discharge, and transfer process: Gathers and labels patient belongings for transfer or discharge and accompanies patient when indicated. Orients patient/family in use of call bell, lights, phone, emergency call bell, and television. Provisions bedside tablets for patient use.
• Documents accurately and timely in the medical record.
• Teamwork: Develops and maintains positive relationships with team members/internal customers. Consistently demonstrates a willingness to adjust activities to accommodate the needs of team members/internal customers. Offers assistance to others when time is available. Assists with resolving conflict by using chain of command, as appropriate. Accepts responsibility for actions and responds positively upon feedback from others. Other duties as assigned.