NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Lab - Phlebotomy
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.900000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 12HR Days - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 0600-1800
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The Phlebotomy Technician II works under the supervision of the Manager. The Phlebotomy Technician II is responsible for invasive procedures and techniques involved in the collection of blood specimens from patients for laboratory use in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. The Phlebotomy Technician II serves as a primary link for the laboratory and interacts with physicians, guests, patients, family members, and other Medical Center staff to obtain or clarify information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation and collect specimens. Must have excellent customer service skills, prioritization skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks. Must have skills related to teaching, assessing and training of staff and students.
1. Prepares the patient in a developmentally appropriate manner. Properly identifies the patient, utilize written procedures for the maintenance of positive patient identification.
2. Receives, interprets, and processes physician orders, requisitions and patient information. Performs computer duties related to specimen collection and patient care.
3. Records appropriate collection and other information related to specimen collection. .
4. Prepare, process label and transport patient specimens and samples according to procedure.
5. Enter patient information into LIS system. Access patient information in computer system. Perform functions related to releasing laboratory results to authorized individuals. Maintaining patient confidentiality and patient privacy related to related to HIPPA.
6. Perform a variety of invasive blood collection procedures. Works with biohazardous specimens, contaminated sharps, blood collection and other medical equipment. Must be familiar with and use standard precautions. Frequently works in different levels of biohazard isolation with a diverse patient population.
7. Maintains equipment, supplies, and work area. Assist in ensuring a clean and safe environment and work area, which is functional as well as professional in appearance, safe for patient care, the public and staff. Maintains compliance with standards set by the medical center and all regulatory / accrediting agencies.
8. Clean neat and professional in appearance at all times.
9. Participates in education programs both within and outside the laboratory to ensure the highest degree of competency within the established scope of patient care. Participates in laboratory and medical center performance improvement and quality assurance programs and initiatives.
10. Provides information to other staff as needed. Must be familiar with, be able to use and train Laboratory and non-Laboratory staff in use of on-line manuals and LIS. Assist with training and orientation of students and staff.
* Cert Phlebotomist
* General Education Degree
Experience: Completion of an accredited Phlebotomy program or one-year of Phlebotomy experience required. Experience related to customer service and quality patient care preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!