The Professional Registered Nurse works under the direction of the Director, Manager or Designated Leader. Functions under that ANA Standards of Performance and adheres to the guidelines of the NCBON. The RN has responsibility and accountability for the provision of patient care. The RN communicates and coordinates the patient’s care in an interdisciplinary model. The RN manages and delivers patient care utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The RN applies critical thinking skills to resolve problems. The RN provides care based on established standards of care and expectations. See www.ncbon.com & www.nursingworld.org.
1. Performs nursing assessments to gather data and identify the patient’s needs for this episode of care per ANA standards and NCBON.
2. Coordinates and communicates patient care needs for discharge planning in interdisciplinary care conferences and with members of the health care team.
3. Develops and implements an individualized plan of nursing care with the patient and family that will address the patient’s and family’s identified needs and concerns.
4. Collaborates with physicians and other health team members in coordinating the plan of care and facilitating patient outcomes.
5. Implements and evaluates the patient’s response to care through assessment and reassessment and updates the plan of care.
6. Provides care based on established standards of practice, policies and protocols.
7. Ensures that patients are admitted, transferred and discharged in a timely and efficient manner.
8. Demonstrates leadership by providing information as a resource nurse, mentor and coach and delegator of nursing care activities.
9. Demonstrates critical thinking skills for problem solving and anticipating patient care needs.
10. Documents assessments, delivery of care and patient’s response to care in the medical record
11. Provides information and facilitates patient/family teaching.
12. Participates in performance improvement initiatives to improve processes and outcomes.
13. Demonstrates accountability for ongoing learning needs, completion of annual education requirements and competencies.
14. Performs moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines. "