NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 0.100000
Work Type: 1 to 31 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: PRN EVE - Most of shift btwn 3P-11P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Clinical Pharmacist works under the direction of the Director, Managers or designated Leader to prepare, label and dispense, as well as maintain appropriate records for all medications and other pharmaceutical supplies ordered by physicians or other qualified prescribers. Provides pharmaceutical care to all age groups from birth to geriatrics. Works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide evidence-based, cost-effective care. Precepts pharmacy students and residents. Work is accomplished in accordance with the policies and regulations of local, state and federal authorities as well as accepted standards of practice. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Compounds, prepares, labels, and dispenses medications (sterile and non-sterile) for all age groups according to accepted standards of practice.
2. Performs computer order-entry functions in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Assists in maintaining an acceptable inventory of medications and supplies under proper conditions of storage and security.
4. Supervises and verifies appropriate and accurate drug distribution tasks performed by support and technical staff.
5. Effectively uses all necessary forms of informatics.
Direct Patient Care Activities
1. Interprets medication orders, monitors drug regimens, and intervenes when order clarification is necessary or when therapeutic problems are identified.
2. Counsels patients, families, and/or caregivers on medication therapy per departmental standards.
3. Promotes the use of cost-effective drug therapy.
4. Participates in the occurrence reporting process for medication errors and adverse drug reactions.
5. Documents activities per departmental policies
6. Provides general drug information services and formally responds to drug information requests.
7. Assists with formulary management activities.
1. Participates in the training, orientation and education of pharmacy students, pharmacy residents and/or new department employees.
2. Assists in orienting other health care professionals regarding the work of the pharmacy department (i.e., physicians, including residents and students, nursing personnel, etc.).
3. Meets and maintains competencies to perform the required duties of the position.
4. Obtains and maintains Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS) certification. (Must be obtained within 60 days of hire date)
5. Obtains and maintains Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification if required in practice area. (Must be obtained within 90 days of hire or initiation of practice in that area)
1. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and effectively organize workload and problem-solve.
2. Supervises support and technical personnel in a consistent and fair manner.
3. Assists with identification and resolution of opportunities for improvement in pharmacy services
4. Follows accepted standards of practice and adheres to federal, state and local regulations, as well as the policies, procedures and standard work of the organization and department
5. Communicates effectively in verbal and written interactions.
6. Supports the health system and department goals and the NHRMC Mission Statement
7. Performs duties as otherwise assigned
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: Postgraduate residency training or equivalent experience will be required in some practice areas. (Department will assess) Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!