NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Regional Transfer Center
Full Time Equivalent: Part-Time
Work Type: 48 to 63 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 12HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-7P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Manager of Regional Transfer Center. Utilizes the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation as a foundation for computer based telephone triage and to manage and deliver patient care information. Communicates and coordinates patient’s care in an interdisciplinary model.
1. Provides patient care information based on established standards of practice, policies and protocols.
2. Demonstrates critical thinking skills for problem solving and anticipating patient care needs.
3. Demonstrates leadership by providing information as a resource nurse, mentor and coach.
4. Conducts self in a professional manner, using appropriate radio and telephone communication techniques.
5. Protects the privacy of patient information in accordance to hospital policy and HIPPA guidelines.
6. Maintains professional standards by participating in performance improvement projects, committees, in-services, and staff meetings.
1. Answer emergency and non-emergency transport telephone lines and coordinate all requests for transport promptly and courteously.
2. Monitors physician-to-physician conference calls to gather data and identify the patient’s need for care.
3. Ensures that patients are admitted, transferred and discharged in a timely and efficient manner.
4. Responds appropriately using discretion and independent judgment to a wide variety of requests to determine appropriate level of care, transport mode (air/ground), type of unit, and division or agency to contact to facilitate the transport.
5. Ensures effective communications are maintained with appropriate transport team.
6. Operates transmitting and receiving two-way radio console, weather radar system, computer database, mapping system and related equipment in support of air medical and ground transport assets.
7. Coordinates appropriate bed assignment for patients requiring admission. Communicates with Admissions and Bed Placement to maintain current knowledge of bed availability.
8. Initiate and coordinate Post Accident/Incident Plans (PAIP) and emergency plans as needed.
1. Answers telephone within the established timeframe and addresses inquiries regarding health needs or health information following approved guidelines.
2. Collects and records required demographic and health history information.
3. Identifies health needs based on assessment and utilization of guidelines. Facilitates appropriate disposition based on assessment, triage guideline parameters and clinical judgment.
4. Assists callers in accessing community services and resources.
5. Registers attendees for the Live & Learn workshops.
* Registered Nurse
* Associate Degree
Experience: 5 or more years hospital experience as a Registered Nurse with multispecialty and ambulatory care experience preferred. Prefer Emergency, CCT or Triage experience. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.