The Medical Assistant provides direct patient care under the delegating authority of the physician or mid-level provider with supervision from the RN and/or LPN, following prescribed policies, procedures, and protocols. Provides care to patients across the life span as defined by the individual practice. Responsibilities include assisting physicians, mid-level providers and nurses in the provision of patient care as well as providing non-clinical support for the practice. Collects and communicates patient information. Performs a variety of patient care tasks as assigned.
1. Demonstrates the standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication and compassion) and uses required service excellence tools to support a positive patient experience.
2. Actively participates in departmental decision making and performance improvement initiatives to improve care, processes and outcomes.
3. Under the supervision of registered nurse and LPN, uses critical thinking and problem-solving skills to provide direct patient care tasks as defined by the practice.
4. Assists physicians, physician extenders and nursing staff in the provision of patient care.
5. Provides supportive services for patients which may include scheduling patient appointments/ tests/ procedures, processing specimens, communicating with patients before and after the visit and processing prescription refill requests.
6. Processes patient referrals, assuring that authorizations are obtained, appointments are made, and documentation of referral care is finalized.
7. Works with providers and nursing staff on the review of test results, communicating recommendations for follow up to patients and tracking patient compliance.
8. Communicates patient care needs to members of the health care team.
9. Participates in maintaining compliance with regulatory standards and inventory management by maintaining clinical space and organizing, stocking and cleaning examination rooms, equipment and supply cabinets.
10. Performs moderate or waived point of care testing per CLIA guidelines.
11. Demonstrates accountability for ongoing learning & completion of required annual education/competencies.
12. Accurately documents patient care activities in the medical record within the prescribed timeframe.
13. Organizes and performs work effectively and efficiently.
14. Maintains and adjusts schedule to enhance team performance.
15. Performs other duties as assigned to meet the needs/goals of the department and the medical center.