Genetic Counselor-Atlantic Fetal Medicine
This job posting is no longer active.
2150 Shipyard Boulevard
Job ID: 12559
Date Posted: Jan 27, 2023
NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Atlantic Fetal Medicine
Department: Atlantic Fetal Medicine
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Genetic Counselor works under the direction of the Practice Director and the providers. This position provides genetic counseling and education to individuals with high-risk pregnancies. Acts as a liaison with physicians and clinicians to coordinate patient laboratory and diagnostic testing and results reporting.
1. Provide genetic counseling to individuals with high-risk pregnancies including information pertaining to risk factors, genetic concepts and inheritance.
2. Collects medical and family history from patients from a variety of sources including personal interviews, telephone screenings, medical records review and conferring with clinicians.
3. Develops detailed models analyzing inheritance patterns to calculate and report risks. Identifies risks that may benefit from genetic screening, testing and/or counseling.
4. Coordinates genetic testing, including obtaining insurance authorizations and physician referrals. Schedules laboratory and related diagnostic testing. Reviews information with physicians and participates in the development of treatment plans as appropriate. Tracks results to ensure that all required tests are completed and “resulted”.
5. Provides follow up care of patients as necessary and assists in patient referral process.
6. Perform psychosocial needs assessment to provide appropriate crisis counseling services and written resource information to facilitate referrals to support services.
7. Maintain patient educational resources and literature. May prepare and present information to academic and community groups.
* Master's Degree
1. Education: Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling required.
2. Licensure/Certifications: Board certified or board eligible by the American Board of Genetics Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics.
3. Experience: Prior obstetrics experience preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
#GeneticCounseling #NHRMC #WilmingtonNC #NovantHealth #Genetics