Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Company Police
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 12HR ROT - Rotating shifts
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
Works under the direct supervision of the Lieutenant or Security Manager. Security Officer oversees a fixed post or patrol an assigned area to preserve peace and order, protect persons and property, and perform duties relating to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center's employees' welfare and safety patients, visitors, and property. Report any unauthorized or suspicious persons, unsafe conditions, or other irregularities. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Performs all assigned duties and requested services in a professional manner while displaying a positive and professional attitude toward all customers. 2. Takes immediate corrective action against hazards and conditions, which may cause injury or damage. 3. Provides assistance to team members, patients, and visitors. 4. Functions as a Security Officer ensuring safety and compliance to policies and procedures of the Network. Educates staff in the proper wearing of the Network’s ID badges. Assists vendors and contractors with obtaining ID badges while on campus. Take on the role of an information resource person. 5. Responds to calls for disputes, complaints, suspicious activity, loud and disruptive behavior, motor vehicle violations and other breaches of the peace. Completes calls by determining the true nature of the situation and taking appropriate legal or persuasive action as warranted 6. Performs operational requirements to include, but not limited to maintain high visibility to identify and resolve potential violent situations; provide transports escorts; render vehicle assistance; effect traffic parking control; proper disposition of expired individuals; provide assistance as required / requested from customers; respond to STAT’s Codes, and emergency situations; assists Officers with follow ups on investigations, unlocking/securing doors. 7. Responds to all emergency medical and fire calls to render assistance when necessary. 8. Conducts foot patrol of high-risk areas and other assigned areas of hospital property. 9. Affects timely resolution of situations, which will reduce overall liability issues in the execution of required duties and responsibilities. 10. Performs administrative functions in respect to writing timely, factual, accurate, complete, and professional reports. 11. Maintains rapport with internal and external contacts at all levels of NHRMC and outside agencies to include state and local law enforcement agencies; other Healthcare facilities, Medical Examiners, and recognized professional organizations to promote NHRMC’s image and philosophy. 12. As required, participates in the development of projects and study of specific issues requiring a proposal or concept. 13. Use appropriate etiquette and organizational procedures when on NHRMC communication devices. 14. Maintains proficiency and knowledge of the required duty procedures of the NHRMC Security Management Program to ensure compliance with JCAHO standards. 15. Must meet all training mandated by Company Police / NHRMC. 16. Demonstrates standard of performance (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence and the NHRMC Vision and Mission. 17. Supports departmental objectives by following proper safety procedures for fire, electrical, and hazardous materials. 18. Participates in all emergency or disaster support efforts and lockdowns. 19. Demonstrate appropriate use of force, de-escalation, and non-violent crisis intervention techniques. 20. Practice universal precautions and use appropriate PPE when involved in Critical Security Incidents or Emergency Management Incidents. 21. Performs County Morgue duties such as storing and moving deceased persons as required. 22. Performs other related duties as required.
* High School Diploma
1. Education: High School / GED required.
2. Must qualify for licensing by the NC Private Protective Service Board (NC PPSB).
3. IAHSS Security Officer Certification is preferred. Must be obtained within 1 year of hire.
4. Licensure/Certifications: Maintain or be able to obtain certification in OC Spray – pepper spray, Baton, Defensive Tactics, American Heart Association BLS required; to include any required NHRMC training.
5. Experience: Prefer one year in health care setting or equivalent.